Quantcast

Should I use one actor per renderer/renderwindow or can they share the same actor?

Should I use one actor per renderer/renderwindow or can they share the same actor?

Bryn Lloyd-3

Hi

I am working on an application with multiple render windows.

Is it SAFE to use the same actor for each renderer/window, or should I create an actor per renderer?

BTW. Currently it is OK if I have the same parameters (color, visibility, etc) in each renderer.

Thanks for any suggestions

Bryn

Re: Should I use one actor per renderer/renderwindow or can they share the same actor?

Karthik Krishnan-3
Even if it did work, it'd be quite fragile. I can imagine timestamp checks going wrong (these are used in the mapper to rebuild the geometric primitives etc).

I can see LODActors getting messed up, when computing last render time from a renderer, not realizing that its not the same renderer they rendered on previously.

Its best to create an actor per render window.

--
karthik

On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 4:24 PM, Bryn Lloyd <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi

I am working on an application with multiple render windows.

Is it SAFE to use the same actor for each renderer/window, or should I create an actor per renderer?

BTW. Currently it is OK if I have the same parameters (color, visibility, etc) in each renderer.

Thanks for any suggestions

Bryn

Re: Should I use one actor per renderer/renderwindow or can they share the same actor?

Bryn Lloyd-3

Hi Karthik

Thanks! I will follow this advice.

Bryn

Re: Should I use one actor per renderer/renderwindow or can they share the same actor?

Bryn Lloyd-3

Hi again,

Actually, could I copy an actor using ShallowCopy in order to create separate actors for each renderer?

Else, how can I transfer (or even synchronize) the actor parameters in a simple but complete way? I am thinking of general vtkProp(s), not just vtkActor.

Thanks for any advice.

--

Bryn

Re: Should I use one actor per renderer/renderwindow or can they share the same actor?

Sebastien Jourdain-2
Humm,

in fact, you can have many actors for a single mapper and there is no
reason why you can't put the same actor to several renderers.
I've done it many time without any issue. Although I was not using LODActors...

Seb

On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 12:15 PM, Karthik Krishnan
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> No you can't shallow copy.. each actor would need its own mapper. Mappers
> can certainly not be shared. I don't think you can share the vtkProperty's
> either, if you are using Shaders since will then consume graphic resources.
>

> On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 9:26 PM, Bryn Lloyd <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi again,
>>

>> Actually, could I copy an actor using ShallowCopy in order to create
>> separate actors for each renderer?
>>

>> Else, how can I transfer (or even synchronize) the actor parameters in a
>> simple but complete way? I am thinking of general vtkProp(s), not just
>> vtkActor.
>>

>> Thanks for any advice.
>>

>> --
>>
>> Bryn

David Doria-2-3
On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 12:52 PM, Sebastien Jourdain
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Humm,
>
> in fact, you can have many actors for a single mapper and there is no
> reason why you can't put the same actor to several renderers.
> I've done it many time without any issue. Although I was not using LODActors...
>
> Seb

David Gobbi commented on this in the last post here:
http://vtk.1045678.n5.nabble.com/Adding-an-ImageSlice-to-one-renderer-causes-the-image-to-disappear-from-a-different-renderer-td4759415.html

David

Re: Should I use one actor per renderer/renderwindow or can they share the same actor?

Hi Sebastien,

Karthik has already given a couple valid reasons, e.g. timestamp
checks between the renderer and the mapper, and resources that a
mapper or property might tie to a particular OpenGL context.  There is
a third reason I can give, and that is that there aren't regression
tests (that I'm aware of, anyway) that verify that it works for the
dozens of different mapper classes in VTK.  And anything that ain't
tested might as well be broken.  A basic vtkActor/vtkPolyDataMapper
with no texture and no shaders is the only prop that I would trust to
add to more than one renderer.

 - David

On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 10:52 AM, Sebastien Jourdain
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Humm,
>
> in fact, you can have many actors for a single mapper and there is no
> reason why you can't put the same actor to several renderers.
> I've done it many time without any issue. Although I was not using LODActors...
>
> Seb
>
> On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 12:15 PM, Karthik Krishnan
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> No you can't shallow copy.. each actor would need its own mapper. Mappers
>> can certainly not be shared. I don't think you can share the vtkProperty's
>> either, if you are using Shaders since will then consume graphic resources.
>>

>> On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 9:26 PM, Bryn Lloyd <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi again,
>>>

>>> Actually, could I copy an actor using ShallowCopy in order to create
>>> separate actors for each renderer?
>>>

>>> Else, how can I transfer (or even synchronize) the actor parameters in a
>>> simple but complete way? I am thinking of general vtkProp(s), not just
>>> vtkActor.
>>>

>>> Thanks for any advice.
>>>

>>> --
>>>
>>> Bryn

As mentioned it seems to work for simple actor/polydata mapper combinations.
But if this is not tested I will design my application differently, to use
individual mappers/actors for each window.

Thanks all for the replies!