Quantcast

Static pages for VTKExamples

Bill Lorensen
Folks,

Take a look here:
https://lorensen.github.io/VTKExamples/site

These are static HTML pages that I think google will find. looks
pretty good on my phone.

Also, the style is much cleaner than:
https://gitlab.kitware.com/lorensen/VTKExamples/wikis/home

Bill

Re: Static pages for VTKExamples

Bill Lorensen
I'll take a look at numbered lists

BTW, at the top left of each page, the 3 bar icon is a navigation bar.

On May 14, 2017 4:15 PM, "Andrew Maclean" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Much nicer however numbered lists don't seem to be generated, see https://lorensen.github.io/VTKExamples/site/Cxx/Visualization/ElevationBandsWithGlyphs/ for example.

Andrew Maclean

On 15 May 2017 05:08, "Bill Lorensen" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Folks,

Take a look here:
https://lorensen.github.io/VTKExamples/site

These are static HTML pages that I think google will find. looks
pretty good on my phone.

Also, the style is much cleaner than:
https://gitlab.kitware.com/lorensen/VTKExamples/wikis/home

Bill

Re: Static pages for VTKExamples

Andrew Maclean-3
Hi Bill,

I really like it.

This is what I see when using Google Chrome.

If the screen is small I see the 3 Bar Icon. When the screen is expanded the 3 Bar Icon disappears and a menu appears on the left. I like the additional drop down list that appears under the links. For instance I have clicked on Cxx and the index comes up in the main part of the screen. When you click on Cxx with the down arrow a list opens up and clicking here lets you go directly to the code you want. Nice!

BTW I have added merge requests with fixes to the links, especially for NamedColorPatches and Parametric Surfaces. So don't worry if the links don't work, the fixes are in the merge requests. This new way of doing things makes it so much easier.

Regards
   Andrew

On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 6:44 AM, Bill Lorensen <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'll take a look at numbered lists

BTW, at the top left of each page, the 3 bar icon is a navigation bar.

On May 14, 2017 4:15 PM, "Andrew Maclean" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Much nicer however numbered lists don't seem to be generated, see https://lorensen.github.io/VTKExamples/site/Cxx/Visualization/ElevationBandsWithGlyphs/ for example.

Andrew Maclean

On 15 May 2017 05:08, "Bill Lorensen" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Folks,

Take a look here:
https://lorensen.github.io/VTKExamples/site

These are static HTML pages that I think google will find. looks
pretty good on my phone.

Also, the style is much cleaner than:
https://gitlab.kitware.com/lorensen/VTKExamples/wikis/home

Bill

Andrew J. P. Maclean

Screenshot_20170515_085749.png (82K) Download Attachment
Screenshot_20170515_085650.png (97K) Download Attachment

Re: Static pages for VTKExamples

Andrew Maclean-3
Bill,
There is an error in the paths specified in the links in the main menu when you click on Cxx and then Visualisation and the Example name in the table.

The link is missing "site" in the address:

Regards
   Andrew

On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 9:14 AM, Andrew Maclean <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Apparently mkdocs wants a space before each number list item.

I fixed them.

On Sun, May 14, 2017 at 7:29 PM, Andrew Maclean
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Bill,
> There is an error in the paths specified in the links in the main menu when
> you click on Cxx and then Visualisation and the Example name in the table.
>
> The link is missing "site" in the address:
> https://lorensen.github.io/VTKExamples/Cxx/Visualization/NamedColorPatches
>
> This does work (from the sidebar):
> https://lorensen.github.io/VTKExamples/site/Cxx/Visualization/NamedColorPatches/
>
> Regards
>    Andrew
>

> On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 9:14 AM, Andrew Maclean <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Bill,
>>
>> I really like it.
>>
>> This is what I see when using Google Chrome.
>>
>> If the screen is small I see the 3 Bar Icon. When the screen is expanded
>> the 3 Bar Icon disappears and a menu appears on the left. I like the
>> additional drop down list that appears under the links. For instance I have
>> clicked on Cxx and the index comes up in the main part of the screen. When
>> you click on Cxx with the down arrow a list opens up and clicking here lets
>> you go directly to the code you want. Nice!
>>
>> BTW I have added merge requests with fixes to the links, especially for
>> NamedColorPatches and Parametric Surfaces. So don't worry if the links don't
>> work, the fixes are in the merge requests. This new way of doing things
>> makes it so much easier.
>>
>> Regards
>>    Andrew
>>

>> On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 6:44 AM, Bill Lorensen <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I'll take a look at numbered lists
>>>

>>> BTW, at the top left of each page, the 3 bar icon is a navigation bar.

>> --
>> Andrew J. P. Maclean

> Andrew J. P. Maclean

Re: Static pages for VTKExamples

Andrew Maclean-3
Thanks Bill,

I updated my current merge requests to add leading spaces.

I have also added a new merge request for a Python example called PointDataSubdivision.py. I did add a test image in the hope this will be picked up for the html static pages. There is no C++ version of this yet!

Regards
   Andrew

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Bill,
> There is an error in the paths specified in the links in the main menu when
> you click on Cxx and then Visualisation and the Example name in the table.
>
> The link is missing "site" in the address:
> https://lorensen.github.io/VTKExamples/Cxx/Visualization/NamedColorPatches
>
> This does work (from the sidebar):
> https://lorensen.github.io/VTKExamples/site/Cxx/Visualization/NamedColorPatches/
>
> Regards
>    Andrew
>

> On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 9:14 AM, Andrew Maclean <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Bill,
>>
>> I really like it.
>>
>> This is what I see when using Google Chrome.
>>
>> If the screen is small I see the 3 Bar Icon. When the screen is expanded
>> the 3 Bar Icon disappears and a menu appears on the left. I like the
>> additional drop down list that appears under the links. For instance I have
>> clicked on Cxx and the index comes up in the main part of the screen. When
>> you click on Cxx with the down arrow a list opens up and clicking here lets
>> you go directly to the code you want. Nice!
>>
>> BTW I have added merge requests with fixes to the links, especially for
>> NamedColorPatches and Parametric Surfaces. So don't worry if the links don't
>> work, the fixes are in the merge requests. This new way of doing things
>> makes it so much easier.
>>
>> Regards
>>    Andrew
>>

>> On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 6:44 AM, Bill Lorensen <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I'll take a look at numbered lists
>>>

>>> BTW, at the top left of each page, the 3 bar icon is a navigation bar.

>> --
>> Andrew J. P. Maclean

> Andrew J. P. Maclean

Andrew J. P. Maclean

Re: Static pages for VTKExamples

Will Schroeder-2
Bill this is a prototype correct? I ask because if you travel down the hierarchy Cxx Examples -> Input & Output -> 3D File Formats -> VTK Formats -> Input and then click on "ReadUnstructuredGrid" it 404s me.

On Sun, May 14, 2017 at 3:08 PM, Bill Lorensen <[hidden email]> wrote:
Folks,

Take a look here:
https://lorensen.github.io/VTKExamples/site

These are static HTML pages that I think google will find. looks
pretty good on my phone.

Also, the style is much cleaner than:
https://gitlab.kitware.com/lorensen/VTKExamples/wikis/home

Bill

William J. Schroeder, PhD
Kitware, Inc. - Building the World's Technical Computing Software
28 Corporate Drive
Clifton Park, NY 12065
[hidden email]
http://www.kitware.com
(518) 881-4902

Re: Static pages for VTKExamples

Andrew Maclean-3
Hi Will,

The correct link is this: https://lorensen.github.io/VTKExamples/site/Cxx/IO/ReadUnstructuredGrid/

You will see the link you are going to is missing "site".

I emailed Bill about this but he was most likely asleep given the time difference. I also forgot to share the email ... my bad!

------------------

On 15 May 2017 20:35, "Will Schroeder" <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Will

I'm still working out the kinks. Before I  go too much further, I  want to get feedback on which of the two approaches is better.

I will look at those missing links.

On May 15, 2017 6:35 AM, "Will Schroeder" <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I think I fixed the link issues.

On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 7:43 AM, Bill Lorensen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Will
>
> I'm still working out the kinks. Before I  go too much further, I  want to
> get feedback on which of the two approaches is better.
>
> I will look at those missing links.
>
> On May 15, 2017 6:35 AM, "Will Schroeder" <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Bill this is a prototype correct? I ask because if you travel down the
>> hierarchy Cxx Examples -> Input & Output -> 3D File Formats -> VTK Formats
>> -> Input and then click on "ReadUnstructuredGrid" it 404s me.
>>
>> On Sun, May 14, 2017 at 3:08 PM, Bill Lorensen <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Folks,
>>>
>>> Take a look here:
>>> https://lorensen.github.io/VTKExamples/site
>>>
>>> These are static HTML pages that I think google will find. looks
>>> pretty good on my phone.
>>>
>>> Also, the style is much cleaner than:
>>> https://gitlab.kitware.com/lorensen/VTKExamples/wikis/home
>>>
>>> Bill
>>>

>> --
>> William J. Schroeder, PhD
>> Kitware, Inc. - Building the World's Technical Computing Software
>> 28 Corporate Drive
>> Clifton Park, NY 12065
>> [hidden email]
>> http://www.kitware.com
>> (518) 881-4902

Re: Static pages for VTKExamples

Andras Lasso
Google indexing dynamic pages should not be an issue (most websites are dynamic), it may just require some tuning.

However, there are a couple of other potential issues with using the wiki for hosting examples.

Versioning may be a one of the most difficult problem to solve. We use MediaWiki to maintain Slicer documentation and we've found that maintaining up-to-date documentation for multiple versions is unsustainable (you have to create a large number of wiki pages for each software version), creates confusion (as Google keeps directing users to pages belonging to random software versions), and limits access (you cannot distribute documentation as a package that can be used offline). Hosting documentation on a github or other documentation-oriented service (such as readthedocs) does not have these issues.

Another problem hosting on the wiki (again, learned lessons from Slicer) that mixing user-written content with automatically-generated content discourages users from contributing, as it becomes unclear which page is generated manually/automatically, how pages can be modified when they are automatically generated. Also number and size of automatically generated pages (especially when pages are generated for each software version) can be very big. Maintaining history for automatically generated pages is not necessary and if it cannot be avoided then it could be an additional burden on the wiki.

Searching on the wiki seems to be quite limited on the wiki (at least as it is set up now). For example, searching for Subdivision has 3 hits on the github version and none on the wiki.

Andras

--
Unpaid intern in BillsBasement at noware dot com _______________________________________________

Re: Static pages for VTKExamples

Ben Boeckel
On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 18:09:28 +0000, Andras Lasso wrote:

> Versioning may be a one of the most difficult problem to solve. We use
> MediaWiki to maintain Slicer documentation and we've found that
> maintaining up-to-date documentation for multiple versions is
> unsustainable (you have to create a large number of wiki pages for
> each software version), creates confusion (as Google keeps directing
> users to pages belonging to random software versions), and limits
> access (you cannot distribute documentation as a package that can be
> used offline). Hosting documentation on a github or other
> documentation-oriented service (such as readthedocs) does not have
> these issues.

Note that Gitlab's wiki is available via git:

    https://gitlab.kitware.com/lorensen/VTKExamples.wiki.git

--Ben

Re: Static pages for VTKExamples

Andras Lasso
If VTK examples have their own dedicated wiki (and not mixed with user-contributed content) then it's a different story, most of the problems that I wrote about have much less impact.

But then why would you use wiki instead of other, well-established documentation generator tools? Auto-generated content would not benefit from collaborative editing capabilities of wiki, but you would still pay the price of it (in that you need a server to run it, it is probably less efficient than serving static html, you are more restricted in structure, formatting, etc).

Andras

On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 18:09:28 +0000, Andras Lasso wrote:

> Versioning may be a one of the most difficult problem to solve. We use
> MediaWiki to maintain Slicer documentation and we've found that
> maintaining up-to-date documentation for multiple versions is
> unsustainable (you have to create a large number of wiki pages for
> each software version), creates confusion (as Google keeps directing
> users to pages belonging to random software versions), and limits
> access (you cannot distribute documentation as a package that can be
> used offline). Hosting documentation on a github or other
> documentation-oriented service (such as readthedocs) does not have
> these issues.

Note that Gitlab's wiki is available via git:

    https://gitlab.kitware.com/lorensen/VTKExamples.wiki.git

--Ben

Re: Static pages for VTKExamples

Andras,

The current VTK Examples have been hosted on a mediawiki site for 6 or 7 years.

The new approach is to use either github or gitlab. The new
VTKExamples (which is still experimental) is a gitlab wiki so
versioning is not an issue. I don't believe it is searched bu google.

The second approach uses github pages to host a static wiki. The look
and feel of the github pages is much better than that of the gitlab
wiki. It also renders large pages much faster.

https://gitlab.kitware.com/lorensen/VTKExamples/wikis/home
versus
https://lorensen.github.io/VTKExamples/site

BTW, both sites are generated automatically from the source code tree.
Addition documentation of examples is written in markdown.

Bill

On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 2:09 PM, Andras Lasso <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Google indexing dynamic pages should not be an issue (most websites are dynamic), it may just require some tuning.
>
> However, there are a couple of other potential issues with using the wiki for hosting examples.
>
> Versioning may be a one of the most difficult problem to solve. We use MediaWiki to maintain Slicer documentation and we've found that maintaining up-to-date documentation for multiple versions is unsustainable (you have to create a large number of wiki pages for each software version), creates confusion (as Google keeps directing users to pages belonging to random software versions), and limits access (you cannot distribute documentation as a package that can be used offline). Hosting documentation on a github or other documentation-oriented service (such as readthedocs) does not have these issues.
>
> Another problem hosting on the wiki (again, learned lessons from Slicer) that mixing user-written content with automatically-generated content discourages users from contributing, as it becomes unclear which page is generated manually/automatically, how pages can be modified when they are automatically generated. Also number and size of automatically generated pages (especially when pages are generated for each software version) can be very big. Maintaining history for automatically generated pages is not necessary and if it cannot be avoided then it could be an additional burden on the wiki.
>
> Searching on the wiki seems to be quite limited on the wiki (at least as it is set up now). For example, searching for Subdivision has 3 hits on the github version and none on the wiki.
>
> Andras

Ben,

Also, the second approach with github pages is available via git:
https://github.com/lorensen/VTKExamples