Suggestions for Writing PolyData to File

Suggestions for Writing PolyData to File

Mike Jackson-9
Dear List;
    I would like some suggestions about what format to write some data
into. I currently read up a vtkImage data and then create a surface
Mesh. After that I find all the distinct particles and color each one.
Usually I just store the mesh as an STL file but I lose all the
distinct particle information and coloring. (and we are close to
allowing the user to "Move" a particle"). My question is what vtk
format would be the best to use to store all this information?
    I am using HDF5 for some other projects and thought about storing
all the information into an HDF file as that would allow flexibility
with our other projects?

Thoughts? Suggestions? Prior Experiences?

Cheers
----
Mike Jackson
imikejackson _at_ gee-mail dot com

RE: Suggestions for Writing PolyData to File

Toon Huysmans
Hi Mike,

I think that
http://www.vtk.org/doc/nightly/html/classvtkPolyDataWriter.html is the
right class for this task, i.e. it writes the polydata together with its
attributes into a vtk-file. You can read these files back in using
http://www.vtk.org/doc/nightly/html/classvtkPolyDataReader.html.

Toon.