Temporal Interpolation Assistance with VTK7 in Python

Temporal Interpolation Assistance with VTK7 in Python

Slaughter, Andrew E
I am hoping someone could point me in the right direction for the following problem. I have two ExodusII files (read using vtkExodusIIReader) each file contains several timesteps from a complete simulation.

I would like to utilize vtkTemporalInterpolator to allow for any timestep within the range of the timesteps in the files to be rendered.

Is this possible using VTK python bindings? If so, I would appreciate being pointed in the correct direction for implementing this sort of tool.

Thanks,

Andrew

Re: Temporal Interpolation Assistance with VTK7 in Python

David Thompson-2
Hi Andrew,

> I am hoping someone could point me in the right direction for the following problem. I have two ExodusII files (read using vtkExodusIIReader) each file contains several timesteps from a complete simulation.
>
> I would like to utilize vtkTemporalInterpolator to allow for any timestep within the range of the timesteps in the files to be rendered.
>
> Is this possible using VTK python bindings? If so, I would appreciate being pointed in the correct direction for implementing this sort of tool.

I don't know whether the Exodus reader itself or the FileSeries reader does it, but one of the two should identify the files as a time-sequence. Note that usually Exodus time-series are broken into multiple files at steps where mesh adaptation occurs. Time *interpolation* (i.e., generating a mesh at a time between 2 saved steps) cannot take place at this boundary since there's no registration between the meshes.

        David

Re: Temporal Interpolation Assistance with VTK7 in Python

Slaughter, Andrew E

On Wed, Mar 22, 2017 at 8:20 AM, David Thompson <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Andrew,

> I am hoping someone could point me in the right direction for the following problem. I have two ExodusII files (read using vtkExodusIIReader) each file contains several timesteps from a complete simulation.
>
> I would like to utilize vtkTemporalInterpolator to allow for any timestep within the range of the timesteps in the files to be rendered.
>
> Is this possible using VTK python bindings? If so, I would appreciate being pointed in the correct direction for implementing this sort of tool.

I don't know whether the Exodus reader itself or the FileSeries reader does it, but one of the two should identify the files as a time-sequence.

The ExodusReader does not do anything with time sequences. Paraview creates a FileSeries, but I need to do this without Paraview.

Note that usually Exodus time-series are broken into multiple files at steps where mesh adaptation occurs. Time *interpolation* (i.e., generating a mesh at a time between 2 saved steps) cannot take place at this boundary since there's no registration between the meshes.

This is good to know, you probably saved me a bunch of time trying to get that aspect to work. However, I would like to take advantage of vtkTemporalDataSetCache across the files, if possible.

        David

Re: Temporal Interpolation Assistance with VTK7 in Python

David Thompson-2
Hi Andrew,

> > Is this possible using VTK python bindings? If so, I would appreciate being pointed in the correct direction for implementing this sort of tool.
>
> I don't know whether the Exodus reader itself or the FileSeries reader does it, but one of the two should identify the files as a time-sequence.
>
> The ExodusReader does not do anything with time sequences. Paraview creates a FileSeries, but I need to do this without Paraview.

It looks like vtkFileSeriesReader and vtkExodusFileSeriesReader are both part of ParaView, not VTK. Either

1. use pvpython instead of vtkpython; or
2. ask about moving those classes to VTK (I don't know a reason they couldn't be moved, but I haven't looked at them in detail); or
3. make an external VTK module that includes those classes (or classes like them) and gets python-wrapped -- which seems like a problem to maintain.

        David