Up-to-date vtk-master debs?

Elvis Stansvik
Hi all,

The blog series about the Debian packaging back in July [1] mentioned
that a nightly builds of VTK would be packaged as vtk-master, but the
package currently in the APT repo (https://apt.kitware.com/) seems to
be to be from July 6.

Anyone if nightly builds will become available at some point, or if
the initiative was cancelled?

Would be absolutely fantastic if nightly packages were available, for
testing purposes ahead of releases.

Cheers,
Elvis

[1] https://blog.kitware.com/rethinking-debian-packaging-for-vtk-and-other-cmake-projects-part-1/

Re: Up-to-date vtk-master debs?

Elvis Stansvik
Den ons 7 nov. 2018 kl 20:48 skrev Elvis Stansvik
<[hidden email]>:

> Hi all,
>
> The blog series about the Debian packaging back in July [1] mentioned
> that a nightly builds of VTK would be packaged as vtk-master, but the
> package currently in the APT repo (https://apt.kitware.com/) seems to
> be to be from July 6.
>
> Anyone if nightly builds will become available at some point, or if
> the initiative was cancelled?
>
> Would be absolutely fantastic if nightly packages were available, for
> testing purposes ahead of releases.

I found now that the source package kept at
https://gitlab.kitware.com/debian/vtk seems to be up-to-date (current
version is 2018.11.10-0kw1).

But the version in the repo is 2018.07.06-0kw1 (see
https://apt.kitware.com/debian/dists/sid/main/binary-amd64/Packages).

Have the package builds stopped?

Elvis

> Cheers,
> Elvis
>
> [1] https://blog.kitware.com/rethinking-debian-packaging-for-vtk-and-other-cmake-projects-part-1/

Re: Up-to-date vtk-master debs?

Elvis Stansvik
Den lör 10 nov. 2018 kl 09:16 skrev Elvis Stansvik
<[hidden email]>:

> Den ons 7 nov. 2018 kl 20:48 skrev Elvis Stansvik
> <[hidden email]>:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > The blog series about the Debian packaging back in July [1] mentioned
> > that a nightly builds of VTK would be packaged as vtk-master, but the
> > package currently in the APT repo (https://apt.kitware.com/) seems to
> > be to be from July 6.
> >
> > Anyone if nightly builds will become available at some point, or if
> > the initiative was cancelled?
> >
> > Would be absolutely fantastic if nightly packages were available, for
> > testing purposes ahead of releases.
>
> I found now that the source package kept at
> https://gitlab.kitware.com/debian/vtk seems to be up-to-date (current
> version is 2018.11.10-0kw1).
>
> But the version in the repo is 2018.07.06-0kw1 (see
> https://apt.kitware.com/debian/dists/sid/main/binary-amd64/Packages).
>
> Have the package builds stopped?

Replying to myself here. I'm guessing since no one has answered, this
initiative has been put on hold or been canceled? Any chance it'll be
revived?

Cheers,
Elvis

> Elvis
>

> > Cheers,
> > Elvis
> >
> > [1] https://blog.kitware.com/rethinking-debian-packaging-for-vtk-and-other-cmake-projects-part-1/

Re: Up-to-date vtk-master debs?

Sebastien Jourdain via vtk-developers
Elvis,

Unfortunately, we're still a few months out from being able to complete
this. That being said, if anyone wants to volunteer to help, I do have
a plan of action for finishing this project. Email me and I can give
more details of what needs to be done.

The biggest holdup at the moment is that VTK recently switched to a new
module system which changes how it gets built. The packaging will have
to be updated to account for this. It's also not a set-it-and-forget-it
kind of thing - VTK is constantly changing and evolving, and we will
always have to update the packaging as both VTK and Debian change. I
wrote dh-cmake and added CTest dashboard functionality to make this
easier, but there's still some work that has to go into the packaging
to get it up to snuff with Debian policies.

Kyle

On Wed, 2018-12-19 at 08:13 +0100, Elvis Stansvik wrote:

> Den lör 10 nov. 2018 kl 09:16 skrev Elvis Stansvik
> <[hidden email]>:
> >

> > Den ons 7 nov. 2018 kl 20:48 skrev Elvis Stansvik
> > <[hidden email]>:
> > >

> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > The blog series about the Debian packaging back in July [1]
> > > mentioned
> > > that a nightly builds of VTK would be packaged as vtk-master, but
> > > the
> > > package currently in the APT repo (https://apt.kitware.com/)
> > > seems to
> > > be to be from July 6.
> > >
> > > Anyone if nightly builds will become available at some point, or
> > > if
> > > the initiative was cancelled?
> > >
> > > Would be absolutely fantastic if nightly packages were available,
> > > for
> > > testing purposes ahead of releases.
> > I found now that the source package kept at
> > https://gitlab.kitware.com/debian/vtk seems to be up-to-date
> > (current
> > version is 2018.11.10-0kw1).
> >
> > But the version in the repo is 2018.07.06-0kw1 (see
> > https://apt.kitware.com/debian/dists/sid/main/binary-amd64/Packages
> > ).
> >
> > Have the package builds stopped?
> Replying to myself here. I'm guessing since no one has answered, this
> initiative has been put on hold or been canceled? Any chance it'll be
> revived?
>
> Cheers,
> Elvis
>

> > Elvis
> >

> > > Cheers,
> > > Elvis
> > >
> > > [1] https://blog.kitware.com/rethinking-debian-packaging-for-vtk-
> > > and-other-cmake-projects-part-1/
> pers

Re: Up-to-date vtk-master debs?

Elvis Stansvik
Alright, thanks for the update Kyle! I can imagine the new module
system will have some consequences for the packaging.

I may have time to help, but mostly with testing, as I'm no seasoned
Debian packager myself.

BTW, do you know if the packages would in the end work with Ubuntu 18.04 LTS?

On Wed, 2018-12-19 at 16:37 +0100, Elvis Stansvik wrote:
> I may have time to help, but mostly with testing, as I'm no seasoned
> Debian packager myself.

One of the first steps is to get dh-cmake ready for integration into
Debian. We have a working prototype, but it still needs documentation
and man pages. We also made some slight changes to the new CPack
External generator, and dh-cmake has to be updated to account for this
(the -G parameter has to be changed from "Ext" to "External" - this is
a very simple change, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.)

If you'd like to help with this, you can find the code at https://gitla
b.kitware.com/debian/dh-cmake .

> BTW, do you know if the packages would in the end work with Ubuntu
> 18.04 LTS?

That's the plan, but Debian and Ubuntu are packaged slightly
differently, so the Ubuntu package would have to be tested and possibly
changed to account for these differences.

Kyle