Using Volume Renderings Piecewise opacity function with vtkImageViewer2

Using Volume Renderings Piecewise opacity function with vtkImageViewer2

Andaharoo
Currently I am using vtkImageViewer2 to display the slices of a volume. Works alright but doesn't handle rotations all that well. Right now I want to apply my transfer function used in volume rendering to these slices. To do this I could simply give the vtkColorTransferFunction to the image actors property and it would work like so:

imageViewer->GetImageActor()->GetProperty()->SetLookupTable(colorTransferFunction);

Now I'm looking to apply the opacity as well which is defined separately as a vtkPiecewiseFunction. Is there an easier way to do this without manually creating a lookup table from the two functions?