Using two different colors on top/bottom cell sides

Using two different colors on top/bottom cell sides

daralex
Dear all,

I would have a question regarding VTK.
I have an unstructured grid where i am trying to plot a temperature
distribution on. I manage to get one color per cell suing lookup table but i
would like to color the top of one cell in blue and the bottom in red, do
you know if it is possible using VTK ? Can you explain me how to deal with
it ?

Thank you in advance for your answer

Alex

Re: Using two different colors on top/bottom cell sides

Bill Lorensen
If you mean a band of red and a band of blue (not a conitnuous
transition), then split the each cell into two cells, color one red,
the other blue.

On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 1:28 PM, daralex <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I would have a question regarding VTK.
> I have an unstructured grid where i am trying to plot a temperature
> distribution on. I manage to get one color per cell suing lookup table but i
> would like to color the top of one cell in blue and the bottom in red, do
> you know if it is possible using VTK ? Can you explain me how to deal with
> it ?
>
> Thank you in advance for your answer
>
> Alex

Re: Using two different colors on top/bottom cell sides

daralex
Thanks for your reply. This is not what i mean. I would like to color the cell front side in red and the cell back side in blue, is it possible ?

2013/12/10 Bill Lorensen <[hidden email]>
If you mean a band of red and a band of blue (not a conitnuous
transition), then split the each cell into two cells, color one red,
the other blue.

On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 1:28 PM, daralex <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I would have a question regarding VTK.
> I have an unstructured grid where i am trying to plot a temperature
> distribution on. I manage to get one color per cell suing lookup table but i
> would like to color the top of one cell in blue and the bottom in red, do
> you know if it is possible using VTK ? Can you explain me how to deal with
> it ?
>
> Thank you in advance for your answer
>
> Alex

Re: Using two different colors on top/bottom cell sides

Bill Lorensen
Can you show an image that illustrates what you want?

On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 2:42 PM, Alexandre DARRAU <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for your reply. This is not what i mean. I would like to color the
> cell front side in red and the cell back side in blue, is it possible ?
>

> 2013/12/10 Bill Lorensen <[hidden email]>
>>
>> If you mean a band of red and a band of blue (not a conitnuous
>> transition), then split the each cell into two cells, color one red,
>> the other blue.
>>

>> On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 1:28 PM, daralex <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Dear all,
>> >
>> > I would have a question regarding VTK.
>> > I have an unstructured grid where i am trying to plot a temperature
>> > distribution on. I manage to get one color per cell suing lookup table
>> > but i
>> > would like to color the top of one cell in blue and the bottom in red,
>> > do
>> > you know if it is possible using VTK ? Can you explain me how to deal
>> > with
>> > it ?
>> >
>> > Thank you in advance for your answer
>> >
>> > Alex
>> >

>> > --

>> > Please keep messages on-topic and check the VTK FAQ at:
>> > http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_FAQ

>> --
>> Unpaid intern in BillsBasement at noware dot com

Re: Using two different colors on top/bottom cell sides

daralex
This is the first time i am trying to insert a picture, i hope it will work:

Does this image help ?

Thank you

Re: Using two different colors on top/bottom cell sides

daralex
This is the first time i am trying to insert a picture, i hope it will work:

Images intégrées 1

Does this image help ?

Thank you

2013/12/10 Bill Lorensen <[hidden email]>
Can you show an image that illustrates what you want?

On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 2:42 PM, Alexandre DARRAU <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks for your reply. This is not what i mean. I would like to color the
> cell front side in red and the cell back side in blue, is it possible ?
>

> 2013/12/10 Bill Lorensen <[hidden email]>
>>
>> If you mean a band of red and a band of blue (not a conitnuous
>> transition), then split the each cell into two cells, color one red,
>> the other blue.
>>

>> On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 1:28 PM, daralex <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Dear all,
>> >
>> > I would have a question regarding VTK.
>> > I have an unstructured grid where i am trying to plot a temperature
>> > distribution on. I manage to get one color per cell suing lookup table
>> > but i
>> > would like to color the top of one cell in blue and the bottom in red,
>> > do
>> > you know if it is possible using VTK ? Can you explain me how to deal
>> > with
>> > it ?
>> >
>> > Thank you in advance for your answer
>> >
>> > Alex
>> >

>> > --

>> > Please keep messages on-topic and check the VTK FAQ at:
>> > http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_FAQ

>> --
>> Unpaid intern in BillsBasement at noware dot com

Re: Using two different colors on top/bottom cell sides

Bill Lorensen
VTK cannot do this with one dataset. You can specify a backface property, but that would only permit one color for the front and back of the dataset.

It seems you want a different colormap for each side of the data. The only way to do this would be to have two separte datasets.

The image you posted is very simple. Can you describe your real-world application?

On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 3:14 PM, Alexandre DARRAU <[hidden email]> wrote:
This is the first time i am trying to insert a picture, i hope it will work:

Images intégrées 1

Does this image help ?

Thank you

2013/12/10 Bill Lorensen <[hidden email]>
Can you show an image that illustrates what you want?

On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 2:42 PM, Alexandre DARRAU <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks for your reply. This is not what i mean. I would like to color the
> cell front side in red and the cell back side in blue, is it possible ?
>

> 2013/12/10 Bill Lorensen <[hidden email]>
>>
>> If you mean a band of red and a band of blue (not a conitnuous
>> transition), then split the each cell into two cells, color one red,
>> the other blue.
>>

>> On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 1:28 PM, daralex <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Dear all,
>> >
>> > I would have a question regarding VTK.
>> > I have an unstructured grid where i am trying to plot a temperature
>> > distribution on. I manage to get one color per cell suing lookup table
>> > but i
>> > would like to color the top of one cell in blue and the bottom in red,
>> > do
>> > you know if it is possible using VTK ? Can you explain me how to deal
>> > with
>> > it ?
>> >
>> > Thank you in advance for your answer
>> >
>> > Alex
>> >

>> > --

>> > Please keep messages on-topic and check the VTK FAQ at:
>> > http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_FAQ

>> --
>> Unpaid intern in BillsBasement at noware dot com

Re: Using two different colors on top/bottom cell sides

daralex
Sure. What I am currently doing is generating the geometrical model of my thermal system.  I used an UnstructuredGrid object to perform it. Each cell corresponds to a thermal node with material and thermal coating properties.

Most often, the thermal coating is the same on the front face and the back face of a cell. Now, i would like to take into account that a thermal coating (represented with red color) can be applied on the front face, another one the backface (blue color) and visualize it on VTK (You can image a Satellite wall with MLI on a side and Carbon on the other side).

Thank you for your help and your answer

2013/12/10 Bill Lorensen <[hidden email]>
VTK cannot do this with one dataset. You can specify a backface property, but that would only permit one color for the front and back of the dataset.

It seems you want a different colormap for each side of the data. The only way to do this would be to have two separte datasets.

The image you posted is very simple. Can you describe your real-world application?

On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 3:14 PM, Alexandre DARRAU <[hidden email]> wrote:
This is the first time i am trying to insert a picture, i hope it will work:

Images intégrées 1

Does this image help ?

Thank you

2013/12/10 Bill Lorensen <[hidden email]>
Can you show an image that illustrates what you want?

On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 2:42 PM, Alexandre DARRAU <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks for your reply. This is not what i mean. I would like to color the
> cell front side in red and the cell back side in blue, is it possible ?
>

> 2013/12/10 Bill Lorensen <[hidden email]>
>>
>> If you mean a band of red and a band of blue (not a conitnuous
>> transition), then split the each cell into two cells, color one red,
>> the other blue.
>>

>> On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 1:28 PM, daralex <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Dear all,
>> >
>> > I would have a question regarding VTK.
>> > I have an unstructured grid where i am trying to plot a temperature
>> > distribution on. I manage to get one color per cell suing lookup table
>> > but i
>> > would like to color the top of one cell in blue and the bottom in red,
>> > do
>> > you know if it is possible using VTK ? Can you explain me how to deal
>> > with
>> > it ?
>> >
>> > Thank you in advance for your answer
>> >
>> > Alex
>> >

>> > --

>> > Please keep messages on-topic and check the VTK FAQ at:
>> > http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_FAQ

>> --
>> Unpaid intern in BillsBasement at noware dot com

Re: Using two different colors on top/bottom cell sides

Bill Lorensen
Great. So I think you need two datasets. Sounds like a cool application.

On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 3:46 PM, Alexandre DARRAU <[hidden email]> wrote:
Sure. What I am currently doing is generating the geometrical model of my thermal system.  I used an UnstructuredGrid object to perform it. Each cell corresponds to a thermal node with material and thermal coating properties.

Most often, the thermal coating is the same on the front face and the back face of a cell. Now, i would like to take into account that a thermal coating (represented with red color) can be applied on the front face, another one the backface (blue color) and visualize it on VTK (You can image a Satellite wall with MLI on a side and Carbon on the other side).

Thank you for your help and your answer

2013/12/10 Bill Lorensen <[hidden email]>
VTK cannot do this with one dataset. You can specify a backface property, but that would only permit one color for the front and back of the dataset.

It seems you want a different colormap for each side of the data. The only way to do this would be to have two separte datasets.

The image you posted is very simple. Can you describe your real-world application?

On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 3:14 PM, Alexandre DARRAU <[hidden email]> wrote:
This is the first time i am trying to insert a picture, i hope it will work:

Images intégrées 1

Does this image help ?

Thank you

2013/12/10 Bill Lorensen <[hidden email]>
Can you show an image that illustrates what you want?

On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 2:42 PM, Alexandre DARRAU <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks for your reply. This is not what i mean. I would like to color the
> cell front side in red and the cell back side in blue, is it possible ?
>

> 2013/12/10 Bill Lorensen <[hidden email]>
>>
>> If you mean a band of red and a band of blue (not a conitnuous
>> transition), then split the each cell into two cells, color one red,
>> the other blue.
>>

>> On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 1:28 PM, daralex <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Dear all,
>> >
>> > I would have a question regarding VTK.
>> > I have an unstructured grid where i am trying to plot a temperature
>> > distribution on. I manage to get one color per cell suing lookup table
>> > but i
>> > would like to color the top of one cell in blue and the bottom in red,
>> > do
>> > you know if it is possible using VTK ? Can you explain me how to deal
>> > with
>> > it ?
>> >
>> > Thank you in advance for your answer
>> >
>> > Alex
>> >

>> > --

>> > Please keep messages on-topic and check the VTK FAQ at:
>> > http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_FAQ

>> --
>> Unpaid intern in BillsBasement at noware dot com

Re: Using two different colors on top/bottom cell sides

daralex
Just to be sure i understood.  To perform that,  will I need to define 2 UnstructuredGrid ? I will have 2 cells at the same position with 2 different color, do you think it will work ?

> [...]

>> > Dear all,
>> >
>> > I would have a question regarding VTK.
>> > I have an unstructured grid where i am trying to plot a temperature
>> > distribution on. I manage to get one color per cell suing lookup table
>> > but i
>> > would like to color the top of one cell in blue and the bottom in red,
>> > do
>> > you know if it is possible using VTK ? Can you explain me how to deal
>> > with
>> > it ?
>> >
>> > Thank you in advance for your answer
>> >
>> > Alex
>> >

>> > --

>> > Please keep messages on-topic and check the VTK FAQ at:
>> > http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_FAQ

>> --
>> Unpaid intern in BillsBasement at noware dot com

Re: Using two different colors on top/bottom cell sides

Yopu may have to offset one grid a bit. Depends on the geometry.