VTK Hackathon this Thursday

David E DeMarle
Hello,

Just a quick reminder about the upcoming VTK hackathon.

The focus area will be VTK examples. Two different sets of which can be found
here:
https://gitlab.kitware.com/vtk/vtk/tree/master/Examples
and here:
http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Examples

We'll start at 9:30 EST time. If you happen to be near Clifton Park, NY, USA, drop me a line asap and I'll get you in to the building.

Otherwise you can meet up with everyone online here:
https://hangouts.google.com/hangouts/_/kitware.com/dave-demarle

David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.
R&D Engineer
21 Corporate Drive
Clifton Park, NY 12065-8662
Phone: 518-881-4909

Re: VTK Hackathon this Thursday

David E DeMarle
I've started a shared doc with some suggestions of things we might work on.
Please improve the list as you see fit.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1U6NTAXWkdebcZp_ZhQo2LJm0CBN78LM91yg7oaKgOZ8/edit?usp=sharing

David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.
R&D Engineer
21 Corporate Drive
Clifton Park, NY 12065-8662
Phone: 518-881-4909

On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 9:43 AM, David E DeMarle <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

Just a quick reminder about the upcoming VTK hackathon.

The focus area will be VTK examples. Two different sets of which can be found
here:
https://gitlab.kitware.com/vtk/vtk/tree/master/Examples
and here:
http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Examples

We'll start at 9:30 EST time. If you happen to be near Clifton Park, NY, USA, drop me a line asap and I'll get you in to the building.

Otherwise you can meet up with everyone online here:
https://hangouts.google.com/hangouts/_/kitware.com/dave-demarle

David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.
R&D Engineer
21 Corporate Drive
Clifton Park, NY 12065-8662
Phone: <a href="tel:(518)%20881-4909" value="+15188814909" target="_blank">518-881-4909

Re: VTK Hackathon this Thursday

Bill Lorensen
Dave,

For those attending the hackathon I suggest they fork the VTK wiki
examples repo at https://github.com/lorensen/VTKWikiExamples and build
them.

Also, I'd like to give a short talk at the beginning of the hackathon
to describe the current wiki example background and mechanisms.

Thanks,

Bill

On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 10:11 AM, David E DeMarle
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've started a shared doc with some suggestions of things we might work on.
> Please improve the list as you see fit.
>
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1U6NTAXWkdebcZp_ZhQo2LJm0CBN78LM91yg7oaKgOZ8/edit?usp=sharing
>

> David E DeMarle
> Kitware, Inc.
> R&D Engineer
> 21 Corporate Drive
> Clifton Park, NY 12065-8662
> Phone: 518-881-4909
>
> On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 9:43 AM, David E DeMarle <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Just a quick reminder about the upcoming VTK hackathon.
>>
>> The focus area will be VTK examples. Two different sets of which can be
>> found
>> here:
>> https://gitlab.kitware.com/vtk/vtk/tree/master/Examples
>> and here:
>> http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Examples
>>
>> We'll start at 9:30 EST time. If you happen to be near Clifton Park, NY,
>> USA, drop me a line asap and I'll get you in to the building.
>>
>> Otherwise you can meet up with everyone online here:
>> https://hangouts.google.com/hangouts/_/kitware.com/dave-demarle
>>
>> David E DeMarle
>> Kitware, Inc.
>> R&D Engineer
>> 21 Corporate Drive
>> Clifton Park, NY 12065-8662
>> Phone: 518-881-4909

Re: VTK Hackathon this Thursday

Andy Bauer
Hi,

A thought on these tests -- I'd like to add minimal testing to some of them. The thought here being that we both show good coding practice as well as verify that the examples work as expected. The concern though is that this could make the examples too long and obfuscate what we're trying to demonstrate in an example.

Below is what I was thinking for the XMLPUnstructuredGridWriter example (http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Examples/Cxx/IO/XMLPUnstructuredGridWriter). It roughly doubles the amount of lines in the example file.

Thoughts on this? At the VTK hackathon it seems to generally be thought of as a good idea but I thought I'd put it out to the full dev list.

Thanks,
Andy

================
#include <vtkDelaunay3D.h>
#include <vtkSmartPointer.h>
#include <vtkSphereSource.h>
#include <vtkUnstructuredGrid.h>
#include <vtkXMLPUnstructuredGridReader.h>
#include <vtkXMLPUnstructuredGridWriter.h>
#include <vtkXMLUnstructuredGridReader.h>

int main(int, char *[])
{
  vtkSmartPointer<vtkSphereSource> sphereSource =
    vtkSmartPointer<vtkSphereSource>::New();
  sphereSource->Update();

  vtkSmartPointer<vtkDelaunay3D> delaunay =
    vtkSmartPointer<vtkDelaunay3D>::New();
  delaunay->SetInputConnection(sphereSource->GetOutputPort());
  delaunay->Update();

  vtkSmartPointer<vtkXMLPUnstructuredGridWriter> writer =
    vtkSmartPointer<vtkXMLPUnstructuredGridWriter>::New();
  writer->SetInputConnection(delaunay->GetOutputPort());
  writer->SetFileName("Test.pvtu");
  writer->SetNumberOfPieces(4);
  writer->SetStartPiece(0);
  writer->SetEndPiece(3);
  writer->Update();

  // We should have created a Test.pvtu and Test_[0-3].vtu.
  // Check that the files exist and have the expected number of cells.
  vtkSmartPointer<vtkXMLPUnstructuredGridReader> preader =
    vtkSmartPointer<vtkXMLPUnstructuredGridReader>::New();
  preader->SetFileName("Test.pvtu");
  preader->Update();
  if (preader->GetOutput()->GetNumberOfCells() != 152)
  {
    cout << "Should have written out 152 cells but got "
         << preader->GetOutput()->GetNumberOfCells() << endl;
    return EXIT_FAILURE;
  }
  for (int i=0;i<4;i++)
  {
    vtkSmartPointer<vtkXMLUnstructuredGridReader> reader =
      vtkSmartPointer<vtkXMLUnstructuredGridReader>::New();
    std::string fileName = "Test_" + std::to_string(i) + ".vtu";
    reader->SetFileName(fileName.c_str());
    reader->Update();
    if (reader->GetOutput()->GetNumberOfCells() != 38)
    {
      cout << "Should have written out 38 cells but got "
           << reader->GetOutput()->GetNumberOfCells() << endl;
      return EXIT_FAILURE;
  return EXIT_SUCCESS;
}
=====================

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I've started a shared doc with some suggestions of things we might work on.
> Please improve the list as you see fit.
>
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1U6NTAXWkdebcZp_ZhQo2LJm0CBN78LM91yg7oaKgOZ8/edit?usp=sharing
>

> David E DeMarle
> Kitware, Inc.
> R&D Engineer
> 21 Corporate Drive
> Clifton Park, NY 12065-8662
> Phone: <a href="tel:518-881-4909" value="+15188814909">518-881-4909
>
> On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 9:43 AM, David E DeMarle <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Just a quick reminder about the upcoming VTK hackathon.
>>
>> The focus area will be VTK examples. Two different sets of which can be
>> found
>> here:
>> https://gitlab.kitware.com/vtk/vtk/tree/master/Examples
>> and here:
>> http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Examples
>>
>> We'll start at 9:30 EST time. If you happen to be near Clifton Park, NY,
>> USA, drop me a line asap and I'll get you in to the building.
>>
>> Otherwise you can meet up with everyone online here:
>> https://hangouts.google.com/hangouts/_/kitware.com/dave-demarle
>>
>> David E DeMarle
>> Kitware, Inc.
>> R&D Engineer
>> 21 Corporate Drive
>> Clifton Park, NY 12065-8662
>> Phone: <a href="tel:518-881-4909" value="+15188814909">518-881-4909

Re: VTK Hackathon this Thursday

Jon Haitz Legarreta
Hi,
although the example in this case does not seem too long to me, reaching a consensus in terms of what results in a too long code or an overly complicated example may be hard.

There is already some sort of regression/baseline testing if the test produces an output in terms of an image/file, right?

Without harm to the idea of steadily adding more tests to/improving the existing ones, if the examples are the entry-point for newcomers, I wouldn't add explicit regression in their code.

I'd favor the idea of making clear in the examples what is essential for a VTK class to be used. Otherwise, if a given class requires a couple or a few examples to show all of its potential or essential features, I'd add them as needed.

JON HAITZ

--

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I've started a shared doc with some suggestions of things we might work on.
> Please improve the list as you see fit.
>
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1U6NTAXWkdebcZp_ZhQo2LJm0CBN78LM91yg7oaKgOZ8/edit?usp=sharing
>

> David E DeMarle
> Kitware, Inc.
> R&D Engineer
> 21 Corporate Drive
> Clifton Park, NY 12065-8662
> Phone: <a href="tel:518-881-4909" value="+15188814909" target="_blank">518-881-4909
>
> On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 9:43 AM, David E DeMarle <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Just a quick reminder about the upcoming VTK hackathon.
>>
>> The focus area will be VTK examples. Two different sets of which can be
>> found
>> here:
>> https://gitlab.kitware.com/vtk/vtk/tree/master/Examples
>> and here:
>> http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Examples
>>
>> We'll start at 9:30 EST time. If you happen to be near Clifton Park, NY,
>> USA, drop me a line asap and I'll get you in to the building.
>>
>> Otherwise you can meet up with everyone online here:
>> https://hangouts.google.com/hangouts/_/kitware.com/dave-demarle
>>
>> David E DeMarle
>> Kitware, Inc.
>> R&D Engineer
>> 21 Corporate Drive
>> Clifton Park, NY 12065-8662
>> Phone: <a href="tel:518-881-4909" value="+15188814909" target="_blank">518-881-4909

Re: VTK Hackathon this Thursday

David Doria-2-3
I just wanted to say that I was very excited to see this event! It seems like it's going well already - high five to all involved!

David

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I've started a shared doc with some suggestions of things we might work on.
> Please improve the list as you see fit.
>
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1U6NTAXWkdebcZp_ZhQo2LJm0CBN78LM91yg7oaKgOZ8/edit?usp=sharing
>

> David E DeMarle
> Kitware, Inc.
> R&D Engineer
> 21 Corporate Drive
> Clifton Park, NY 12065-8662
> Phone: <a href="tel:518-881-4909" value="+15188814909" target="_blank">518-881-4909
>
> On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 9:43 AM, David E DeMarle <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Just a quick reminder about the upcoming VTK hackathon.
>>
>> The focus area will be VTK examples. Two different sets of which can be
>> found
>> here:
>> https://gitlab.kitware.com/vtk/vtk/tree/master/Examples
>> and here:
>> http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Examples
>>
>> We'll start at 9:30 EST time. If you happen to be near Clifton Park, NY,
>> USA, drop me a line asap and I'll get you in to the building.
>>
>> Otherwise you can meet up with everyone online here:
>> https://hangouts.google.com/hangouts/_/kitware.com/dave-demarle
>>
>> David E DeMarle
>> Kitware, Inc.
>> R&D Engineer
>> 21 Corporate Drive
>> Clifton Park, NY 12065-8662
>> Phone: <a href="tel:518-881-4909" value="+15188814909" target="_blank">518-881-4909

Re: VTK Hackathon this Thursday

David E DeMarle
Thanks David!

Wish you could have made it. Next time perhaps.

David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.
R&D Engineer
21 Corporate Drive