VTK/OpenGL2 application over VirtualGL/TurboVNC?

VTK/OpenGL2 application over VirtualGL/TurboVNC?

Elvis Stansvik
Has anyone successfully run a VTK application using the OpenGL2
backend over VirtualGL/TurboVNC?

GLEW fails to initialize when I try to run the application using
vglrun. I'm ready to give up, since this was just a casual experiment,
but I thought I'd ask first if anyone has it running. The output from
`vglrun glxinfo` looks good to me.

Elvis

Re: VTK/OpenGL2 application over VirtualGL/TurboVNC?

Elvis Stansvik
> Has anyone successfully run a VTK application using the OpenGL2
> backend over VirtualGL/TurboVNC?
>
> GLEW fails to initialize when I try to run the application using
> vglrun. I'm ready to give up, since this was just a casual experiment,
> but I thought I'd ask first if anyone has it running. The output from
> `vglrun glxinfo` looks good to me.

Forgot to mention: From some googling, I've found some reports of
getting it working (back in 2008 and 2011), but nothing recent. So I
guess the introduction of the OpenGL2 backend may have changed things.

Elvis

> Elvis

Re: VTK/OpenGL2 application over VirtualGL/TurboVNC?

RobertS
Hi Elvis,
I tried it without success, but paraview runs without problems, so there's
got to be some way...

Robert

Has anyone successfully run a VTK application using the OpenGL2 backend over
VirtualGL/TurboVNC?

GLEW fails to initialize when I try to run the application using vglrun. I'm
ready to give up, since this was just a casual experiment, but I thought I'd
ask first if anyone has it running. The output from `vglrun glxinfo` looks
good to me.

Elvis

Please keep messages on-topic and check the VTK FAQ at:
http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_FAQ

Re: VTK/OpenGL2 application over VirtualGL/TurboVNC?

Elvis Stansvik
> Hi Elvis,
> I tried it without success, but paraview runs without problems, so there's
> got to be some way...

Ah, that's an interesting piece of info.

Perhaps there's some ParaView dev here who knows what might set
ParaView apart in this context?

Elvis

> Robert

Andreas Buykx-2
We have been busy trying to get OpenGL2 to work on our linux backend machines using TigerVNC and we needed to build our own mesa to get the OpenGL support required by the VTK OpenGL2 layer. I'm not sure what version of mesa was required, my colleague who worked on this is on holiday. So far the transition to VTK OpenGL2  is in an experimental stage, we will probably not roll it out until after our next release. We are very interested in exchanging experiences though...

Kind regards,
Andreas

Alright. My quick test server was a Thinkpad T460p laptop with NVIDIA
proprietary driver, so not using Mesa. The laptop is running Ubuntu
16.04.

I followed pretty much the instructions at
https://github.com/aancel/admin/wiki/VirtualGL-on-Ubuntu to set it up.

I'm attaching the output I get from `vglrun glxinfo` in a terminal
when connected to the server. It looks good to me.

The result when trying to run our VTK application is

ERROR: In /buildbot/vtk7-builder/build/Rendering/OpenGL2/vtkOpenGLRenderWindow.cxx,
line 628
vtkXOpenGLRenderWindow (0x94e5e0): GLEW could not be initialized.

followed by a segmentation fault.

This is with VTK 7.1.1, configured with the OpenGL2 backend.

I'm attaching the backtrace (I had to modify the /usr/bin/vglrun
script to run gdb in order to get it).

I assume I would get the same problem with a minimal VTK example, but
have yet to try this.

Cheers,
Elvis

> Kind regards,
> Andreas

vglrun-glxinfo.txt (51K) Download Attachment
vglrun-app-backtrace.txt (4K) Download Attachment

Re: VTK/OpenGL2 application over VirtualGL/TurboVNC?

Ken Martin
Elvis, could you try running the following test?

ctest -R VBOPLY -VV

or explicitly as

vtkRenderingOpenGL2CxxTests TestVBOPLYMapper -D ExternalData\Testing

and send me the output? That test checks for OpenGL2 support and prints out an error message if it fails to get a valid context.

Thanks!
Ken

On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 7:50 AM, Elvis Stansvik <[hidden email]> wrote:
> We have been busy trying to get OpenGL2 to work on our linux backend machines using TigerVNC and we needed to build our own mesa to get the OpenGL support required by the VTK OpenGL2 layer. I'm not sure what version of mesa was required, my colleague who worked on this is on holiday. So far the transition to VTK OpenGL2  is in an experimental stage, we will probably not roll it out until after our next release. We are very interested in exchanging experiences though...

Alright. My quick test server was a Thinkpad T460p laptop with NVIDIA
proprietary driver, so not using Mesa. The laptop is running Ubuntu
16.04.

I followed pretty much the instructions at
https://github.com/aancel/admin/wiki/VirtualGL-on-Ubuntu to set it up.

I'm attaching the output I get from `vglrun glxinfo` in a terminal
when connected to the server. It looks good to me.

The result when trying to run our VTK application is

ERROR: In /buildbot/vtk7-builder/build/Rendering/OpenGL2/vtkOpenGLRenderWindow.cxx,
line 628
vtkXOpenGLRenderWindow (0x94e5e0): GLEW could not be initialized.

followed by a segmentation fault.

This is with VTK 7.1.1, configured with the OpenGL2 backend.

I'm attaching the backtrace (I had to modify the /usr/bin/vglrun
script to run gdb in order to get it).

I assume I would get the same problem with a minimal VTK example, but
have yet to try this.

Cheers,
Elvis

> Kind regards,
> Andreas

Ken Martin PhD
Distinguished Engineer
Kitware Inc.
28 Corporate Drive
Clifton Park NY 12065

Re: VTK/OpenGL2 application over VirtualGL/TurboVNC?

Elvis Stansvik

> Elvis, could you try running the following test?
>
> ctest -R VBOPLY -VV
>
> or explicitly as
>
> vtkRenderingOpenGL2CxxTests TestVBOPLYMapper -D ExternalData\Testing
>
> and send me the output? That test checks for OpenGL2 support and prints out
> an error message if it fails to get a valid context.

Ah, will do, will take a little while as I don't have a from-source
build of VTK ready on that machine. The testing was done with VTK
installed from a .deb package that we built. But I'll get back to you
in a while.

Elvis

> Thanks!
> Ken
>

> On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 7:50 AM, Elvis Stansvik
> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> > We have been busy trying to get OpenGL2 to work on our linux backend
>> > machines using TigerVNC and we needed to build our own mesa to get the
>> > OpenGL support required by the VTK OpenGL2 layer. I'm not sure what version
>> > of mesa was required, my colleague who worked on this is on holiday. So far
>> > the transition to VTK OpenGL2  is in an experimental stage, we will probably
>> > not roll it out until after our next release. We are very interested in
>> > exchanging experiences though...
>>
>> Alright. My quick test server was a Thinkpad T460p laptop with NVIDIA
>> proprietary driver, so not using Mesa. The laptop is running Ubuntu
>> 16.04.
>>
>> I followed pretty much the instructions at
>> https://github.com/aancel/admin/wiki/VirtualGL-on-Ubuntu to set it up.
>>
>> I'm attaching the output I get from `vglrun glxinfo` in a terminal
>> when connected to the server. It looks good to me.
>>
>> The result when trying to run our VTK application is
>>
>> ERROR: In
>> /buildbot/vtk7-builder/build/Rendering/OpenGL2/vtkOpenGLRenderWindow.cxx,
>> line 628
>> vtkXOpenGLRenderWindow (0x94e5e0): GLEW could not be initialized.
>>
>> followed by a segmentation fault.
>>
>> This is with VTK 7.1.1, configured with the OpenGL2 backend.
>>
>> I'm attaching the backtrace (I had to modify the /usr/bin/vglrun
>> script to run gdb in order to get it).
>>
>> I assume I would get the same problem with a minimal VTK example, but
>> have yet to try this.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Elvis
>>

>> > Kind regards,
>> > Andreas

Everything seems fine. The output is

first render time: 0.381111
opengl version 4.5
interactive render time: 0.0321125
number of triangles: 871414
triangles per second: 2.71363e+07

and I could see the dragon render quickly before disappearing.

I'll try to cook up a minimal example that sets up a volume rendering
pipeline similar to what I have in our application, and try to
reproduce the problem I get there.

Elvis

> Thanks!
> Ken
>

> On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 7:50 AM, Elvis Stansvik
> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> > We have been busy trying to get OpenGL2 to work on our linux backend
>> > machines using TigerVNC and we needed to build our own mesa to get the
>> > OpenGL support required by the VTK OpenGL2 layer. I'm not sure what version
>> > of mesa was required, my colleague who worked on this is on holiday. So far
>> > the transition to VTK OpenGL2  is in an experimental stage, we will probably
>> > not roll it out until after our next release. We are very interested in
>> > exchanging experiences though...
>>
>> Alright. My quick test server was a Thinkpad T460p laptop with NVIDIA
>> proprietary driver, so not using Mesa. The laptop is running Ubuntu
>> 16.04.
>>
>> I followed pretty much the instructions at
>> https://github.com/aancel/admin/wiki/VirtualGL-on-Ubuntu to set it up.
>>
>> I'm attaching the output I get from `vglrun glxinfo` in a terminal
>> when connected to the server. It looks good to me.
>>
>> The result when trying to run our VTK application is
>>
>> ERROR: In
>> /buildbot/vtk7-builder/build/Rendering/OpenGL2/vtkOpenGLRenderWindow.cxx,
>> line 628
>> vtkXOpenGLRenderWindow (0x94e5e0): GLEW could not be initialized.
>>
>> followed by a segmentation fault.
>>
>> This is with VTK 7.1.1, configured with the OpenGL2 backend.
>>
>> I'm attaching the backtrace (I had to modify the /usr/bin/vglrun
>> script to run gdb in order to get it).
>>
>> I assume I would get the same problem with a minimal VTK example, but
>> have yet to try this.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Elvis
>>

>> > Kind regards,
>> > Andreas

And you ran it over virtualGL/TurboVNC?

You can run it with -I added on if you want it to stay up so you can interact with it

vtkRenderingOpenGL2CxxTests TestVBOPLYMapper -D ExternalData\Testing -I

--
Ken Martin PhD
Distinguished Engineer

Re: VTK/OpenGL2 application over VirtualGL/TurboVNC?

Elvis Stansvik
> And you ran it over virtualGL/TurboVNC?

Yep. See attached screenshot. This was when I ran

    vglrun bin/vtkRenderingOpenGL2CxxTests TestVBOPLYMapper -D
ExternalData/Testing -I

in a TurboVNC session from my own laptop to the server machine.

Out of curiosity, since we're using Qt 5 in our application, I tried
running the QVTKRenderWindowInteractor.py script, as a quick test, and
it gives the same error as when running our app:

ERROR: In /buildbot/vtk7-builder/build/Rendering/OpenGL2/vtkOpenGLRenderWindow.cxx,
line 628
vtkXOpenGLRenderWindow (0x25e1670): GLEW could not be initialized.

So maybe the problem is related to Qt 5 + VTK somehow?

In our application (C++), we use a custom QVTKWidget subclass. I'll
try to make a minimal test case that uses our custom class, but
QVTKRenderWindowInteractor.py exhibiting the same problem seems to
suggest it might be related to Qt + VTK.

I also verified that the SmartVolumeMapper example works fine, even
when modified to use the vtkGPUVolumeRayCastMapper instead (which is
what we're using).

Elvis

test-working.png (777K) Download Attachment

Re: VTK/OpenGL2 application over VirtualGL/TurboVNC?

Elvis Stansvik

>> And you ran it over virtualGL/TurboVNC?
>
> Yep. See attached screenshot. This was when I ran
>
>     vglrun bin/vtkRenderingOpenGL2CxxTests TestVBOPLYMapper -D
> ExternalData/Testing -I
>
> in a TurboVNC session from my own laptop to the server machine.
>
> Out of curiosity, since we're using Qt 5 in our application, I tried
> running the QVTKRenderWindowInteractor.py script, as a quick test, and
> it gives the same error as when running our app:
>
> ERROR: In /buildbot/vtk7-builder/build/Rendering/OpenGL2/vtkOpenGLRenderWindow.cxx,
> line 628
> vtkXOpenGLRenderWindow (0x25e1670): GLEW could not be initialized.
>
> So maybe the problem is related to Qt 5 + VTK somehow?
>
> In our application (C++), we use a custom QVTKWidget subclass. I'll
> try to make a minimal test case that uses our custom class, but

Instead, I just tried the
http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Examples/Cxx/Qt/RenderWindowUISingleInheritance
example, which uses QVTKWidget directly, and it exhibits the same
problem.

So something funny is going on with Qt + VTK under VirtualGL.

I wonder, the reports of success when running ParaView under
VirtualGL/TurboVNC, anyone know if that was with Qt 4 or 5?

Elvis

> QVTKRenderWindowInteractor.py exhibiting the same problem seems to
> suggest it might be related to Qt + VTK.
>
> I also verified that the SmartVolumeMapper example works fine, even
> when modified to use the vtkGPUVolumeRayCastMapper instead (which is
> what we're using).
>
> Elvis
>

>> You can run it with -I added on if you want it to stay up so you can
>> interact with it
>>
>> vtkRenderingOpenGL2CxxTests TestVBOPLYMapper -D ExternalData\Testing -I

>>> Everything seems fine. The output is
>>>
>>> first render time: 0.381111
>>> opengl version 4.5
>>> interactive render time: 0.0321125
>>> number of triangles: 871414
>>> triangles per second: 2.71363e+07
>>>
>>> and I could see the dragon render quickly before disappearing.
>>>
>>> I'll try to cook up a minimal example that sets up a volume rendering
>>> pipeline similar to what I have in our application, and try to
>>> reproduce the problem I get there.
>>>
>>> Elvis

I believe for Qt5 you should be using the new QVTKOpenGLWidget that was recently written. From what I understand the old QVTKWidget has some issues with Qt5. So that might be worth looking into. I believe that is what ParaView uses now.

On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 9:18 AM, Elvis Stansvik <[hidden email]> wrote:
> And you ran it over virtualGL/TurboVNC?

Yep. See attached screenshot. This was when I ran

    vglrun bin/vtkRenderingOpenGL2CxxTests TestVBOPLYMapper -D
ExternalData/Testing -I

in a TurboVNC session from my own laptop to the server machine.

Out of curiosity, since we're using Qt 5 in our application, I tried
running the QVTKRenderWindowInteractor.py script, as a quick test, and
it gives the same error as when running our app:

ERROR: In /buildbot/vtk7-builder/build/Rendering/OpenGL2/vtkOpenGLRenderWindow.cxx,
line 628
vtkXOpenGLRenderWindow (0x25e1670): GLEW could not be initialized.

So maybe the problem is related to Qt 5 + VTK somehow?

In our application (C++), we use a custom QVTKWidget subclass. I'll
try to make a minimal test case that uses our custom class, but
QVTKRenderWindowInteractor.py exhibiting the same problem seems to
suggest it might be related to Qt + VTK.

I also verified that the SmartVolumeMapper example works fine, even
when modified to use the vtkGPUVolumeRayCastMapper instead (which is
what we're using).

Elvis

> You can run it with -I added on if you want it to stay up so you can
> interact with it
>
> vtkRenderingOpenGL2CxxTests TestVBOPLYMapper -D ExternalData\Testing -I
>

> On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 8:57 AM, Elvis Stansvik
> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> > Elvis, could you try running the following test?
>> >
>> > ctest -R VBOPLY -VV
>> >
>> > or explicitly as
>> >
>> > vtkRenderingOpenGL2CxxTests TestVBOPLYMapper -D ExternalData\Testing
>> >
>> > and send me the output? That test checks for OpenGL2 support and prints
>> > out
>> > an error message if it fails to get a valid context.
>>
>> Everything seems fine. The output is
>>
>> first render time: 0.381111
>> opengl version 4.5
>> interactive render time: 0.0321125
>> number of triangles: 871414
>> triangles per second: 2.71363e+07
>>
>> and I could see the dragon render quickly before disappearing.
>>
>> I'll try to cook up a minimal example that sets up a volume rendering
>> pipeline similar to what I have in our application, and try to
>> reproduce the problem I get there.
>>
>> Elvis
>>

>> > Thanks!
>> > Ken

Ah yes, it's on our TODO to try out the new QVTKOpenGLWidget. At the
moment we have our own .deb packaged VTK 7.1.1, but will try out the
new widget once we're on a version that has it.

Let's hope that magically solves the problem.

Robert: You mentioned ParaView running without problems. Do you know
if that was with a version that uses Qt 4 or 5, and if 5, if it uses
the new QVTKOpenGLWidget or not?

Elvis

> On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 9:18 AM, Elvis Stansvik
> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> > And you ran it over virtualGL/TurboVNC?
>>
>> Yep. See attached screenshot. This was when I ran
>>
>>     vglrun bin/vtkRenderingOpenGL2CxxTests TestVBOPLYMapper -D
>> ExternalData/Testing -I
>>
>> in a TurboVNC session from my own laptop to the server machine.
>>
>> Out of curiosity, since we're using Qt 5 in our application, I tried
>> running the QVTKRenderWindowInteractor.py script, as a quick test, and
>> it gives the same error as when running our app:
>>
>> ERROR: In
>> /buildbot/vtk7-builder/build/Rendering/OpenGL2/vtkOpenGLRenderWindow.cxx,
>> line 628
>> vtkXOpenGLRenderWindow (0x25e1670): GLEW could not be initialized.
>>
>> So maybe the problem is related to Qt 5 + VTK somehow?
>>
>> In our application (C++), we use a custom QVTKWidget subclass. I'll
>> try to make a minimal test case that uses our custom class, but
>> QVTKRenderWindowInteractor.py exhibiting the same problem seems to
>> suggest it might be related to Qt + VTK.
>>
>> I also verified that the SmartVolumeMapper example works fine, even
>> when modified to use the vtkGPUVolumeRayCastMapper instead (which is
>> what we're using).
>>
>> Elvis
>>

>> > You can run it with -I added on if you want it to stay up so you can
>> > interact with it
>> >
>> > vtkRenderingOpenGL2CxxTests TestVBOPLYMapper -D ExternalData\Testing -I

It was a few months ago, so probably paraview 5.1 or 5.2 with qt4. Certainly not 5.3 with qt5. I don't know what kind of widget it was using.

On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 3:45 PM, Elvis Stansvik <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I believe for Qt5 you should be using the new QVTKOpenGLWidget that was
> recently written. From what I understand the old QVTKWidget has some issues
> with Qt5. So that might be worth looking into. I believe that is what
> ParaView uses now.

Ah yes, it's on our TODO to try out the new QVTKOpenGLWidget. At the
moment we have our own .deb packaged VTK 7.1.1, but will try out the
new widget once we're on a version that has it.

Let's hope that magically solves the problem.

Robert: You mentioned ParaView running without problems. Do you know
if that was with a version that uses Qt 4 or 5, and if 5, if it uses
the new QVTKOpenGLWidget or not?

Elvis

> On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 9:18 AM, Elvis Stansvik
> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> > And you ran it over virtualGL/TurboVNC?
>>
>> Yep. See attached screenshot. This was when I ran
>>
>>     vglrun bin/vtkRenderingOpenGL2CxxTests TestVBOPLYMapper -D
>> ExternalData/Testing -I
>>
>> in a TurboVNC session from my own laptop to the server machine.
>>
>> Out of curiosity, since we're using Qt 5 in our application, I tried
>> running the QVTKRenderWindowInteractor.py script, as a quick test, and
>> it gives the same error as when running our app:
>>
>> ERROR: In
>> /buildbot/vtk7-builder/build/Rendering/OpenGL2/vtkOpenGLRenderWindow.cxx,
>> line 628
>> vtkXOpenGLRenderWindow (0x25e1670): GLEW could not be initialized.
>>
>> So maybe the problem is related to Qt 5 + VTK somehow?
>>
>> In our application (C++), we use a custom QVTKWidget subclass. I'll
>> try to make a minimal test case that uses our custom class, but
>> QVTKRenderWindowInteractor.py exhibiting the same problem seems to
>> suggest it might be related to Qt + VTK.
>>
>> I also verified that the SmartVolumeMapper example works fine, even
>> when modified to use the vtkGPUVolumeRayCastMapper instead (which is
>> what we're using).
>>
>> Elvis
>>

>> > You can run it with -I added on if you want it to stay up so you can
>> > interact with it
>> >
>> > vtkRenderingOpenGL2CxxTests TestVBOPLYMapper -D ExternalData\Testing -I

Ben Boeckel
On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 15:45:54 +0200, Elvis Stansvik wrote:
> Robert: You mentioned ParaView running without problems. Do you know
> if that was with a version that uses Qt 4 or 5, and if 5, if it uses
> the new QVTKOpenGLWidget or not?

ParaView only started shipping with Qt5 due to QVTKOpenGLWidget being
the fix to issues with the other QVTKWidget classes., so Qt5 binaries
have always used this class. Custom builds could have been done with the
QVTKWidget class though (ParaView never used QVTKWidget2).

--Ben

Re: VTK/OpenGL2 application over VirtualGL/TurboVNC?

Elvis Stansvik
> On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 15:45:54 +0200, Elvis Stansvik wrote:
>> Robert: You mentioned ParaView running without problems. Do you know
>> if that was with a version that uses Qt 4 or 5, and if 5, if it uses
>> the new QVTKOpenGLWidget or not?
>
> ParaView only started shipping with Qt5 due to QVTKOpenGLWidget being
> the fix to issues with the other QVTKWidget classes., so Qt5 binaries
> have always used this class. Custom builds could have been done with the
> QVTKWidget class though (ParaView never used QVTKWidget2).

Alright, thanks for the info Ben & Robert.

I'll hold off with this TurboVNC/VirtualGL experiment until we've
ported to the new QVTKOpenGLWidget and can give that a try.

Elvis