VTK Python wheels?

Prabhu Ramachandran-3

Hi folks,

I was wondering if there is any support for easily building Python wheels of VTK. Three years ago David Gobbi had posted this: http://public.kitware.com/pipermail/vtkusers/2014-August/084731.html

I was wondering if there has been any progress on this front as this would be very useful to have.

Are any of you folks going to be at SciPy 2017?  If you are maybe we can work on this together and make it happen?

Thanks!

cheers,

Prabhu

Re: VTK Python wheels?

Jean-Christophe Fillion-Robin
Hi Prabhu,

Matt, François, Marcus ans I are at SciPy.

We would be happy to meet you.

Re: wheels

Now we have wheels for ITK, we should be able to apply the same approach for ITK. See https://blog.kitware.com/itk-python-wheels/ and

Jc

On 7/12/17 7:15 AM, Jean-Christophe Fillion-Robin wrote:
Hi Prabhu,

Matt, François, Marcus ans I are at SciPy.

We would be happy to meet you.

Re: wheels

Now we have wheels for ITK, we should be able to apply the same approach for ITK. See https://blog.kitware.com/itk-python-wheels/ and

That sounds awesome!  Will catch up with you.  Stefan van der Walt and I will come by and meet with you sometime.  Thank you!

cheers,
Prabhu

Re: VTK Python wheels?

Matthew Brett
On Wed, Jul 12, 2017 at 5:04 PM, Prabhu Ramachandran
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 7/12/17 7:15 AM, Jean-Christophe Fillion-Robin wrote:
>
> Hi Prabhu,
>
> Matt, François, Marcus ans I are at SciPy.
>
> We would be happy to meet you.
>
> Re: wheels
>
> Now we have wheels for ITK, we should be able to apply the same approach for
> ITK. See https://blog.kitware.com/itk-python-wheels/ and
> https://github.com/InsightSoftwareConsortium/ITKPythonPackage
>

> That sounds awesome!  Will catch up with you.  Stefan van der Walt and I
> will come by and meet with you sometime.  Thank you!

If I can help - let me know - I'm in the UK, but I will be online,

Cheers,

Matthew

Re: VTK Python wheels?

Matt McCormick-2
On Wed, Jul 12, 2017 at 12:26 PM, Matthew Brett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 12, 2017 at 5:04 PM, Prabhu Ramachandran
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 7/12/17 7:15 AM, Jean-Christophe Fillion-Robin wrote:
>>
>> Hi Prabhu,
>>
>> Matt, François, Marcus ans I are at SciPy.
>>
>> We would be happy to meet you.
>>
>> Re: wheels
>>
>> Now we have wheels for ITK, we should be able to apply the same approach for
>> ITK. See https://blog.kitware.com/itk-python-wheels/ and
>> https://github.com/InsightSoftwareConsortium/ITKPythonPackage
>>

>> That sounds awesome!  Will catch up with you.  Stefan van der Walt and I
>> will come by and meet with you sometime.  Thank you!
>
> If I can help - let me know - I'm in the UK, but I will be online,

Excellent!

Here is a publically editable Google Doc:

  https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WFN_1oqyxDn0crCKlSs7nn5qQ-Ppqexv8tlMN2NG5sk/edit?usp=sharing

We could meet on Friday at the evening BoF session, 5:30 PM Central
Time in the Grand Ballroom. Matthew and others could join via video
chat.  Here is a link:

  https://meet.google.com/cry-ucqr-jer

Thanks,
Matt

Re: VTK Python wheels?

David Gobbi
I'll be able to join remotely.

 - David

On Wed, Jul 12, 2017 at 1:00 PM, Matt McCormick <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, Jul 12, 2017 at 12:26 PM, Matthew Brett <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 12, 2017 at 5:04 PM, Prabhu Ramachandran
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 7/12/17 7:15 AM, Jean-Christophe Fillion-Robin wrote:
>>
>> Hi Prabhu,
>>
>> Matt, François, Marcus ans I are at SciPy.
>>
>> We would be happy to meet you.
>>
>> Re: wheels
>>
>> Now we have wheels for ITK, we should be able to apply the same approach for
>> ITK. See https://blog.kitware.com/itk-python-wheels/ and
>> https://github.com/InsightSoftwareConsortium/ITKPythonPackage
>>

>> That sounds awesome!  Will catch up with you.  Stefan van der Walt and I
>> will come by and meet with you sometime.  Thank you!
>
> If I can help - let me know - I'm in the UK, but I will be online,

Excellent!

Here is a publically editable Google Doc:

  https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WFN_1oqyxDn0crCKlSs7nn5qQ-Ppqexv8tlMN2NG5sk/edit?usp=sharing

We could meet on Friday at the evening BoF session, 5:30 PM Central
Time in the Grand Ballroom. Matthew and others could join via video
chat.  Here is a link:

  https://meet.google.com/cry-ucqr-jer

Thanks,
Matt

Re: VTK Python wheels?

Prabhu Ramachandran-3
On 7/14/17 8:51 AM, David Gobbi wrote:
I'll be able to join remotely.

Thank you for organizing this, Matt.  My sincere apologies for missing this meeting!  I had to lead a BOF on SciPy 2018 and that ended up going on until 7:15 and had another appointment at 7:30.  I will be at the sprints all day tomorrow though so would love to chat with Matt and JC.

cheers,
Prabhu

Re: VTK Python wheels?

Matt McCormick-2
On Sat, Jul 15, 2017 at 1:37 AM, Prabhu Ramachandran
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 7/14/17 8:51 AM, David Gobbi wrote:
>
> I'll be able to join remotely.
>

> Thank you for organizing this, Matt.  My sincere apologies for missing this
> meeting!  I had to lead a BOF on SciPy 2018 and that ended up going on until
> 7:15 and had another appointment at 7:30.  I will be at the sprints all day
> tomorrow though so would love to chat with Matt and JC.

Thank you for organizing the conference, Prabhu, and helping to
facilitate SciPy 2018 :-).

Despite inconvenient timing, David Gobbi, Dave DeMarle, and Matthew
Brett were all able to join remotely. The discussion was helpful and
productive. A summary can be found here:

  https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WFN_1oqyxDn0crCKlSs7nn5qQ-Ppqexv8tlMN2NG5sk/edit#

Unfortunately, I am flying back this morning, but Jc indicated he was
going to hack on it during the sprints.

Thanks,
Matt