VTK error dialog due to OpenGL problem

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

VTK error dialog due to OpenGL problem

Richard Whitehead
Since moving to VTK 6.1 I'm having a problem where VTK pops up an error box saying
  ERROR: In E:\VTK\VTK-6.1.0\Rendering\OpenGL\vtkOpenGLExtensionManager.cxx, line 757
  vtkOpenGLExtensionManager (0000000003A83120): Extension GL_VERSION_1_2 could not be loaded.

I think this problem was happening in 6.0 but only as a warning, and since my app worked I didn't worry about it: now I can't ignore it.

VTK 6.1 source and a simple test app were both built on the same machine, using CMake and then Visual Studio 2012 in both cases.  I'm trying to run the app on the same machine it was built on.  It is a new Dell running Windows 7 64 bit, the graphics is an integrated Intel HD Graphics 4600.

I have updated my graphics drivers to the latest Intel drivers to no effect and I think I must conclude that this deprecated interface is no longer supported.

I have checked the relevant code in VTK GIT but there have been no recent fixes.

I've investigated why VTK is trying to load these deprecated functions, which I explain below, but I don't know what to do about it.
Options would seem to include:
  Changing vtkOpenGLVolumeTextureMapper3D::Initialize to load a newer version
  Removing the explicit load of the deprecated version in vtkOpenGLExtensionManager::SafeLoadExtension
  Not failing if the main version loads but the deprecated version fails to load
  Changing the build system to not include the deprecated version
  Loading just the latest version at runtime
But I don't know anything about OpenGL or the details of how it is used in VTK so I can't decide.

Please can someone advise what should be changed.


vtkOpenGLVolumeTextureMapper3D::Initialize explicitly loads GL_VERSION_1_2, and when you load that, vtkOpenGLExtensionManager::SafeLoadExtension explicitly also loads the DEPRECATED version, and this fails because none of the entry points are found.

The reason it thinks 1.2 is supported is that during the build, ParseOGLExt.cxx writes a file called vtkgl.cxx that includes a string vtkgl::GLVersionExtensionsString which in my case includes "GL_VERSION_1_2 GL_VERSION_1_2_DEPRECATED ....."
It did this because of the contents of a text string it was given to parse... and here I gave up.


Many thanks,

Richard



_______________________________________________
Powered by www.kitware.com

Visit other Kitware open-source projects at http://www.kitware.com/opensource/opensource.html

Please keep messages on-topic and check the VTK FAQ at: http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_FAQ

Follow this link to subscribe/unsubscribe:
http://www.vtk.org/mailman/listinfo/vtkusers
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: VTK error dialog due to OpenGL problem

Aashish Chaudhary-2
On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 6:55 AM, Richard Whitehead <[hidden email]> wrote:
Since moving to VTK 6.1 I'm having a problem where VTK pops up an error box saying
  ERROR: In E:\VTK\VTK-6.1.0\Rendering\OpenGL\vtkOpenGLExtensionManager.cxx, line 757
  vtkOpenGLExtensionManager (0000000003A83120): Extension GL_VERSION_1_2 could not be loaded.

I think this problem was happening in 6.0 but only as a warning, and since my app worked I didn't worry about it: now I can't ignore it.

VTK 6.1 source and a simple test app were both built on the same machine, using CMake and then Visual Studio 2012 in both cases.  I'm trying to run the app on the same machine it was built on.  It is a new Dell running Windows 7 64 bit, the graphics is an integrated Intel HD Graphics 4600.

I have updated my graphics drivers to the latest Intel drivers to no effect and I think I must conclude that this deprecated interface is no longer supported.

I have checked the relevant code in VTK GIT but there have been no recent fixes.

I've investigated why VTK is trying to load these deprecated functions, which I explain below, but I don't know what to do about it.

I believe it was querying for 1_2 to make sure that features needed for rendering are supported. As the 1_2 is quite old and 
newer drivers don't event list it any more and that's why you are getting these errors. I will have a look at the code. 
 
Options would seem to include:
  Changing vtkOpenGLVolumeTextureMapper3D::Initialize to load a newer version
  Removing the explicit load of the deprecated version in vtkOpenGLExtensionManager::SafeLoadExtension
  Not failing if the main version loads but the deprecated version fails to load
  Changing the build system to not include the deprecated version
  Loading just the latest version at runtime
But I don't know anything about OpenGL or the details of how it is used in VTK so I can't decide.

Please can someone advise what should be changed.


vtkOpenGLVolumeTextureMapper3D::Initialize explicitly loads GL_VERSION_1_2, and when you load that, vtkOpenGLExtensionManager::SafeLoadExtension explicitly also loads the DEPRECATED version, and this fails because none of the entry points are found.

The reason it thinks 1.2 is supported is that during the build, ParseOGLExt.cxx writes a file called vtkgl.cxx that includes a string vtkgl::GLVersionExtensionsString which in my case includes "GL_VERSION_1_2 GL_VERSION_1_2_DEPRECATED ....."
It did this because of the contents of a text string it was given to parse... and here I gave up.

I see. Let me send you a patch for you to try. 

- Aashish



Many thanks,

Richard



_______________________________________________
Powered by www.kitware.com

Visit other Kitware open-source projects at http://www.kitware.com/opensource/opensource.html

Please keep messages on-topic and check the VTK FAQ at: http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_FAQ

Follow this link to subscribe/unsubscribe:
http://www.vtk.org/mailman/listinfo/vtkusers




--
| Aashish Chaudhary
| R&D Engineer        
| Kitware Inc.           
| www.kitware.com   

_______________________________________________
Powered by www.kitware.com

Visit other Kitware open-source projects at http://www.kitware.com/opensource/opensource.html

Please keep messages on-topic and check the VTK FAQ at: http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_FAQ

Follow this link to subscribe/unsubscribe:
http://www.vtk.org/mailman/listinfo/vtkusers
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: VTK error dialog due to OpenGL problem

David Cole-2
The test failures shown on these dashboard submissions... :

http://open.cdash.org/index.php?project=VTK&filtercount=1&showfilters=0&field1=site/string&compare1=63&value1=neocisinc

...are symptomatic of this. That machine has an on-board Intel HD 4000
graphics processor, and is running Windows 8.x.

The fact that these chips have been sold in many brands of laptops for
a few years now and VTK has 30-something test failures out of the box
on them, has bothered me for a while... but unfortunately I have larger
fish to fry. Fortunately, however, the app that I build using VTK works
fine on the very same machine, and all of my tests pass. So whatever
functionality doesn't work is at least masked for now in my app.

Perhaps whatever you try could fix all of these failing tests in one
fell swoop...? (Wishful thinking perhaps, but a guy can hope.)

Let me know if you'd like me to try any gerrit patches on that machine.


Cheers,
David C.

_______________________________________________
Powered by www.kitware.com

Visit other Kitware open-source projects at http://www.kitware.com/opensource/opensource.html

Please keep messages on-topic and check the VTK FAQ at: http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_FAQ

Follow this link to subscribe/unsubscribe:
http://www.vtk.org/mailman/listinfo/vtkusers
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: VTK error dialog due to OpenGL problem

Aashish Chaudhary-2
On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 9:06 AM, David Cole <[hidden email]> wrote:
The test failures shown on these dashboard submissions... :

http://open.cdash.org/index.php?project=VTK&filtercount=1&showfilters=0&field1=site/string&compare1=63&value1=neocisinc

...are symptomatic of this. That machine has an on-board Intel HD 4000 graphics processor, and is running Windows 8.x.

Thanks for the these pointers. I will send a experimental path to Richard and if that works then come up with a proper fix (which may require talking to 
other folks here). 

The fact that these chips have been sold in many brands of laptops for a few years now and VTK has 30-something test failures out of the box on them, has bothered me for a while... but unfortunately I have larger fish to fry. Fortunately, however, the app that I build using VTK works fine on the very same machine, and all of my tests pass. So whatever functionality doesn't work is at least masked for now in my app.

Perhaps whatever you try could fix all of these failing tests in one fell swoop...? (Wishful thinking perhaps, but a guy can hope.)

Let me know if you'd like me to try any gerrit patches on that machine.

Sure. Thanks Dave.  


Cheers,
David C.




--
| Aashish Chaudhary
| R&D Engineer        
| Kitware Inc.           
| www.kitware.com   

_______________________________________________
Powered by www.kitware.com

Visit other Kitware open-source projects at http://www.kitware.com/opensource/opensource.html

Please keep messages on-topic and check the VTK FAQ at: http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_FAQ

Follow this link to subscribe/unsubscribe:
http://www.vtk.org/mailman/listinfo/vtkusers
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: VTK error dialog due to OpenGL problem

Aashish Chaudhary-2
Richard, 

Can you try the attached patch? It will be a temporary fix only for the volume texture 3d mapper. 

Use git apply to apply this patch. Let me know how it goes. 

Thanks,



On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 9:12 AM, Aashish Chaudhary <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 9:06 AM, David Cole <[hidden email]> wrote:
The test failures shown on these dashboard submissions... :

http://open.cdash.org/index.php?project=VTK&filtercount=1&showfilters=0&field1=site/string&compare1=63&value1=neocisinc

...are symptomatic of this. That machine has an on-board Intel HD 4000 graphics processor, and is running Windows 8.x.

Thanks for the these pointers. I will send a experimental path to Richard and if that works then come up with a proper fix (which may require talking to 
other folks here). 

The fact that these chips have been sold in many brands of laptops for a few years now and VTK has 30-something test failures out of the box on them, has bothered me for a while... but unfortunately I have larger fish to fry. Fortunately, however, the app that I build using VTK works fine on the very same machine, and all of my tests pass. So whatever functionality doesn't work is at least masked for now in my app.

Perhaps whatever you try could fix all of these failing tests in one fell swoop...? (Wishful thinking perhaps, but a guy can hope.)

Let me know if you'd like me to try any gerrit patches on that machine.

Sure. Thanks Dave.  


Cheers,
David C.




--
| Aashish Chaudhary
| R&D Engineer        
| Kitware Inc.           
| www.kitware.com   



--
| Aashish Chaudhary
| R&D Engineer        
| Kitware Inc.           
| www.kitware.com   

_______________________________________________
Powered by www.kitware.com

Visit other Kitware open-source projects at http://www.kitware.com/opensource/opensource.html

Please keep messages on-topic and check the VTK FAQ at: http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_FAQ

Follow this link to subscribe/unsubscribe:
http://www.vtk.org/mailman/listinfo/vtkusers

fix_volume_gl.patch (4K) Download Attachment