VTK hackathon 7 October 22nd

David E DeMarle
Hey gang,

It has been a while since weve had a VTK hackathon. How does October 22nd sound?

What area do we want to focus our attentions on this time? For reference the previous hackathons were:
Feb 2013 - dashathon
Feb 2014 - coveragathon
Oct 2014 - bugathon
Jul 2016 - bugathon2
April 2017 - examplethon
Sept 2017 - depracathalon

One promising idea we've kicked around is "contrib-athon" that is looking at and merging as many merge requests and vtk journal articles as we can in a day. Another is thread-athon, with a goal of threading as many internal working as we can get our heads around. As always people are welcome to work outside of the focus area if they like.

We'll host it at Kitware Headquarters in Albany NY and open in up remotely with a Google Meeting to all takers. Details to follow once we've settled on a date and topic.

thanks

David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.
Principal Engineer
21 Corporate Drive
Clifton Park, NY 12065-8662
Phone: 518-881-4909

Re: VTK hackathon 7 October 22nd

Dan Lipsa-2
Another idea is
reader-athon (input-athon)

People can fix / improve things in their favorite readers (I know I have a few fixes I would like to work on) or go through bug reports look at fixes for readers.

Dan

On Thu, Oct 4, 2018 at 9:52 AM David E DeMarle <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Ben Boeckel
On Thu, Oct 04, 2018 at 09:51:48 -0400, David E DeMarle wrote:
> One promising idea we've kicked around is "contrib-athon" that is looking
> at and merging as many merge requests and vtk journal articles as we can in

I'd prefer a contrib-athon. How about triaging issues as well (since the
dashboards are likely to be backed up on MR testing anyways…)?

--Ben

Re: VTK hackathon 7 October 22nd

Bill Lorensen
+1 contrib-a-thon

On Thu, Oct 4, 2018, 8:28 AM Ben Boeckel <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thu, Oct 04, 2018 at 09:51:48 -0400, David E DeMarle wrote:
> One promising idea we've kicked around is "contrib-athon" that is looking
> at and merging as many merge requests and vtk journal articles as we can in

I'd prefer a contrib-athon. How about triaging issues as well (since the
dashboards are likely to be backed up on MR testing anyways…)?

--Ben

Re: VTK hackathon 7 October 22nd

David E DeMarle
OK let's to it on Tuesday October 23'rd. The v-con link is: https://meet.google.com/bvz-dazh-zfz

The focus area will be "merge everything!" but of course everyone is welcome to work on whatever they like and contribute to/benefit from the amped-up group mind.

Lunch will be provided to those who participate at Kitware in NY. If you plan to attend in person, please let me know soon so I can arrange a visitor badge for you.

Thanks. See you all in just over two weeks!

David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.
Principal Engineer
21 Corporate Drive
Clifton Park, NY 12065-8662
Phone: 518-881-4909

On Thu, Oct 4, 2018 at 9:51 AM David E DeMarle <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Cory Quammen-2
If we are going to be reviewing/merging outstanding merge requests, it would be good for folks to rebase branches on master and retest on the dashboards ahead of time. Waiting until the day of the merge-a-thon will lead to enormous dashboard queues.

Any ideas on how to encourage that or make it happen, ideally more efficient than prodding the 143 open merge requests individually?

Thanks,
Cory