Quantcast

VTK version 7.1.1 causes crashes but 7.0.0 works fine.

VTK version 7.1.1 causes crashes but 7.0.0 works fine.

majinsaha
Hello!
I recently updated my 7.0.0 version to 7.1.1. When I tried simple Hello World problem, I got the following error

ERROR: In /home/saha/Downloads/VTK-7.1.1/Rendering/OpenGL2/vtkOpenGLRenderWindow.cxx, line 628
vtkXOpenGLRenderWindow (0x1b81c20): GLEW could not be initialized.

Segmentation fault (core dumped)

I work in Linux, Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. I tried to rebuild VTK with different options, but it lead to other errors. Please not that whenever I build my Hello World problem by linking with VTK-7.0.0, everything works fine as before.

What would be the right list of configurations options to build VTK-7.1.1 as to avoid this or similar errors?

My command
glxinfo | grep OpenGL
produces the following:
OpenGL vendor string: Intel Open Source Technology Center
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Haswell Mobile
OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 9.0.3
OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30
OpenGL extensions:

Thanks for any advice!

Re: VTK version 7.1.1 causes crashes but 7.0.0 works fine.

David E DeMarle
I suspect that is the difference in your 7.0.0 and 7.1.0 is that 7.0.0 has the "OpenGL" backend and 7.1.1 has the "OpenGL2" backend.
You can either change your 7.1.1 build, update Mesa to >= 13.0.0, or use the GL driver from your CPU vendor.

David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.
R&D Engineer
21 Corporate Drive
Clifton Park, NY 12065-8662
Phone: 518-881-4909

On Wed, Apr 12, 2017 at 7:15 AM, majinsaha <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Actually, when I was installing VTK 7.0.0 almost a year ago, it was AFTER I set Rendering Backend to OpenGL2 it stopped crashing and I haven't been doing any changes to that since then.
But in any case I tried to reconfigure VTK 7.1.1 by setting backend to OpenGL as you advised but it won't let me pass with the following message:

CMake Error at Rendering/OpenGL2/CMakeLists.txt:2 (message):
   vtkRenderingOpenGL2 cannot be built with vtkRenderingOpenGL, please disable
   one of them.

When I returned to OpenGL2, it's even gotten worse, since VTK library stopped compiling after I execute

make -j4

On Wed, Apr 12, 2017 at 12:18 PM, majinsaha <[hidden email]> wrote:
CMake Error at Rendering/OpenGL2/CMakeLists.txt:2 (message):
   vtkRenderingOpenGL2 cannot be built with vtkRenderingOpenGL, please
disable
   one of them.

This above indicates that something is very strange in your build/configuration such that it is picking up some state cmake variables somehow.

I recommend starting fresh in a different build directory.

David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.
R&D Engineer
21 Corporate Drive
Clifton Park, NY 12065-8662
Phone: 518-881-4909

Re: VTK version 7.1.1 causes crashes but 7.0.0 works fine.

majinsaha
So I started in a new directory. I've set backend to OpenGL2. VTK itself compiles and installs, however, the Hello World problem now stopped compiling. This is what it gives:

/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lvtkRenderingContextOpenGL
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lvtkRenderingOpenGL
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lvtkRenderingGL2PS
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lvtkRenderingLIC
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lvtkRenderingVolumeOpenGL

The list was initially bigger, but I just activated some of the boxes I found while reconfiguring VTK in ccmake. However, I can't find those last options anywhere. I checked my /usr/local/lib and found some of these libraries, such as, for example, libvtkRenderingContextOpenGL*.so, both 1 and 2, as well as versions 7.0 and 7.1.
How would I make my linker notice those libraries?