Quantcast

VTKRenderWindowInteractor.py does not display correctly on retina display

VTKRenderWindowInteractor.py does not display correctly on retina display

Brian Alger
On a MacBook Pro with retina display, running:
python lib/python2.7/site-packages/vtk/qt/QVTKRenderWindowInteractor.py

shows the following

The cone is only in the lower left. This works as expected on non retina displays.
Using: VTK 7.1.0, PyQt 5.6
I found this that shows how one might fix the problem. Incorporating their changes does seem to fix the problem but their comment
says it is not the right way to do this.

What is the correct way to get this to work?

Re: VTKRenderWindowInteractor.py does not display correctly on retina display

David Gobbi
Hi Brian,

The retina code in VTK is still under development.  In the VTK master branch, retina should work fine for pure C++ VTK apps, but it might not work for python yet.  But feel free to try it if you want to be a guinea pig.

The VTK 7.1.0 release doesn't support retina displays.

 - David

<http://vtk.1045678.n5.nabble.com/file/n5742298/QVTKRenderWindowInteractor_retina.png>

I found  this <https://github.com/siudej/Eigenvalues/blob/master/qvtk.py>
that shows how one might fix the problem. Incorporating their changes does
seem to fix the problem but their comment
says it is not the right way to do this.

What is the correct way to get this to work?

Re: VTKRenderWindowInteractor.py does not display correctly on retina display

Sean McBride
On Mon, 27 Feb 2017 09:54:34 -0700, Brian Alger said:

>On a MacBook Pro with retina display, running:
>python lib/python2.7/site-packages/vtk/qt/QVTKRenderWindowInteractor.py
>
>shows the following
>
><http://vtk.1045678.n5.nabble.com/file/n5742298/
>QVTKRenderWindowInteractor_retina.png>
>
>The cone is only in the lower left. This works as expected on non retina
>displays.
>Using: VTK 7.1.0, PyQt 5.6
>I found  this <https://github.com/siudej/Eigenvalues/blob/master/qvtk.py>
>that shows how one might fix the problem. Incorporating their changes does
>seem to fix the problem but their comment
>says it is not the right way to do this.
>
>What is the correct way to get this to work?

It's a VTK bug.  The fix is mostly done:

<https://gitlab.kitware.com/vtk/vtk/merge_requests/2431>

waiting for me to clean it up a bit...

Cheers,

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 [hidden email]
Rogue Research                        www.rogue-research.com
Mac Software Developer              Montréal, Québec, Canada