Visualize a volume slice on a 3D plane (the acquisition plane of the images)

Visualize a volume slice on a 3D plane (the acquisition plane of the images)

Eva Monclús

Hello everyone,

I'm working with a volume dataset (temporal Dicom serie) and I´m able to visualize the  slices using the following vtk C++ classes:

  • vtkImageData: represents the volume dataset
  • vtkImageMapToColors: I use this class to define the transfer function to be used in the rendering
  • vtkImageActor: I use this class to render a specific slice of the volume dataset
Until here everything it is fine. I can render the slice I want using the classes before mentioned changing the SetDisplayExtent of the vtkImageActor.

Now I want to visualize the output of my vtkImageActor as a 2D texture in a free 3D plane.  Then, I consider to have the following classes:
  •  I use a vtkPlaneSource to define the  3D plane: orientation and position
  • a vtkTexture that has to be attached to the vtkPlaneSource. My problem comes out with the definition of the SetInputConnection of the vtkTexture. I want to define the  image as the output of the vtkImageActor. But  I do not get it.
I am successful in visualizing the vtkPlane in black  color (due to the texture is not well defined) unfortunately, I can't get it to work properly  with a texture of a specific slice of the volume dataset. I have tried different ways of assigning the SetInputConnection of the vtkTexture using the vtkImageActor, but none of them worked well.

Any help will be welcome.  Thank you very much in advance,

   Eva

Re: Visualize a volume slice on a 3D plane (the acquisition plane of the images)

Sankhesh Jhaveri-2

Hi Eva,

vtkImageActor is a 2D textured plane in a 3D space. Make sure that you use the vtkImageMapper3D (default mapper) with it.
If you’re just looking for 3D interaction with the actor, use an interactor style like vtkInteractorStyleTrackballCamera.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,
Sankhesh

On Wed, Jun 27, 2018 at 9:17 AM Eva Monclús <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Sankhesh Jhaveri
Sr. Research & Development Engineer | Kitware | (518) 881-4417

Re: Visualize a volume slice on a 3D plane (the acquisition plane of the images)

Eva Monclús

Thanks a lot for the quickly answer, but my problem is that I want to use the output of the vtkImageActor in a different graphic object (another 3D plane) and I do not know how to manage it.

In very, very technical words, I want to get access to the unsigned char * that it is being rendering using the vtkImageActor.

Thanks in advance,

    Eva

On 27/06/2018 15:22, Sankhesh Jhaveri wrote:

[...]

You should be able to get the output of the mapper as vtkImageData and then use GetScalarPointer() to access the raw data.

On Wed, Jun 27, 2018 at 9:49 AM Eva Monclús <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Sr. Research & Development Engineer | Kitware | <a href="tel:(518)%20881-4417" value="+15188814417" target="_blank">(518) 881-4417

On 27/06/2018 16:12, Sankhesh Jhaveri wrote:

You should be able to get the output of the mapper as vtkImageData and then use GetScalarPointer() to access the raw data.

I have tried to bind the vtkImageData as the InputData of the vtkTexture, using:
            vtkImageActor *saggital;
            vtkImageData *image_data = sagittal->GetMapper()->GetInput();
             texture->SetInputData(image_data);

but I get the following openGL error:
ERROR: In D:\workspace.64\VTK-7.0.0\Rendering\OpenGL2\vtkOpenGLTexture.cxx, line 224
vtkOpenGLTexture (000001EAAB506E60): 3D texture maps currently are not supported!
I know that my vtkImageData is a 3D volume data but I hope that because the vtkImageActor is just rendering a 2D slice of the volume dataset, there was a way of obtaining it.

Thanks in advance,
    Eva

[...]

Sr. Research & Development Engineer | Kitware | <a href="tel:%28518%29%20881-4417" value="+15188814417" target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true">(518) 881-4417

--
Sankhesh Jhaveri
Sr. Research & Development Engineer | Kitware | (518) 881-4417

Re: Visualize a volume slice on a 3D plane (the acquisition plane of the images)

Shashwath T.R.
For this, you should probably use something to slice the 3D volume to get a 2D slice. You can use vtkExtractVOI with the correct extents to pull out the slice and use that as your input. Probably a pipeline like this:

Input -> vtkExtractVOI -> vtkImageMapToColors -> vtkTexture.

For arbitrary slicing (not on the X, Y or Z axes), you would use vtkImageReslice.

Shash

On 28/06/2018 16:18, Shashwath T.R. wrote:
> For this, you should probably use something to slice the 3D volume to
> get a 2D slice. You can use vtkExtractVOI with the correct extents to
> pull out the slice and use that as your input. Probably a pipeline
> like this:
>
> Input -> vtkExtractVOI -> vtkImageMapToColors -> vtkTexture.

Your solution works fine. Thank you very much for your support.
The problem with the other suggested solutions was that the output of
the (vtkImageMapToColors or ctkImageActor) was an opengl  3D texture,
which was not supported by the renderer of vtkTexture.

But, I got the solution using your pipeline proposal: Input ->
vtkExtractVOI -> vtkImageMapToColors -> vtkTexture.

Thanks so much for your help!

Best regards,
     Eva