Volume rendering produces rough surface at clipping plane

Volume rendering produces rough surface at clipping plane

Andras Lasso

Hi all,

I’m working on visualizing cardiac images using volume rendering. I need to cut into the volume to see surfaces inside the heart, which works quite well by using clipping planes of the volume mapper. The only problem is that that surface at the cut plane looks very rough, which makes it difficult to distinguish from actual endocardial surfaces. If I “cut” the volume by setting voxel values outside the clipping box to “empty” (-1000 = air intensity value) then the cut surface looks nice – smooth and flat. See example for both cutting method in the attached files.

Is there a way to change volume renderer to get smooth cut surfaces (the same look as we get by setting outside voxels to “empty” values)?

Andras

---

See full resolution images and more examples here:

https://1drv.ms/f/s!Arm_AFxB9yqHsOsClG_QsMx-4sh8rg

CT volume can be downloaded from here:

http://slicer.kitware.com/midas3/download/item/292309/CTA-cardio.nrrd

________________________

Andras Lasso, PhD

Senior Research Engineer, Associate Director (Engineering)

Laboratory for Percutaneous Surgery

School of Computing, Queen's University

Kingston, ON, Canada

complete.png (97K) Download Attachment
cut-by-vr-clipping-planes.png (96K) Download Attachment
cut-by-setting-outside-values-to-empty.png (77K) Download Attachment

Re: Volume rendering produces rough surface at clipping plane

Sankhesh Jhaveri-2

Hi Andras,

!4627 implements a mode in vtkVolumeProperty that lets you use custom intensity values for voxels in the clipped space when computing gradients at the clip face.

Best,
Sankhesh

On Fri, Nov 3, 2017 at 10:48 AM Andras Lasso <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Sankhesh Jhaveri
Sr. Research & Development Engineer | Kitware | (518) 881-4417

Re: Volume rendering produces rough surface at clipping plane

Andras Lasso

This is awesome! Thanks a lot for implementing this. It will greatly improve clipped volume visualization.

Andras

Re: Volume rendering produces rough surface at clipping plane

Simon ESNEAULT-2
+1 for this feature, this will be of great help for us too !

The same "rough" effect is visible along the faces of the bounding box of the volume, will this improvement works when we use the SetCroppingRegionPlanes( ... ) method of the GPUVolumeMapper, ie without using clipping planes but "CroppingRegionPlanes" ?

Thanks !
Simon

Le mer. 29 août 2018 à 15:52, Andras Lasso <[hidden email]> a écrit :

[...]

Simon Esneault
Rennes, France

Re: Volume rendering produces rough surface at clipping plane

Sankhesh Jhaveri-2

Hi Simon,

This MR just implements the flag for clipping but it should be simple to extend it to cropping as well.

Thanks,
Sankhesh