Weird Problem with OpenVR SDK

vtk user
Hello VTK users,

I am having a weird problem with using VTK with OpenVR. I built VTK 8.1 against OpenVR and the Plugin itself is working fine. I visualize my Data with the OpenVR headers included and the according renderclasses (vtkOpenVRRenderer, ...) used instead of the standart render classes (vtkRenderer, ...). When I did that (withoud HMD attached), OpenVR complained that the Headset is not attached and SteamVR claims that that the HMD is not ready, which makes sense. But as I deleted the includes again and took the normal rendering classes, the complains still go on (complains at line: renderWindow->render()). I deleted and rebuilt the whole project via cmake, but its the same thing. This now happens to any VTK program I write (I wrote a completely seperate program, visualizing a sphere source from the examples with the normal VTK renderer, and its just not rendering on the laptop screen, but complains that there is not HMD attached). It seems like VTK is forcing to render with the OpenVR SDK, even if no OpenVR library is included. Does anyone know how to solve the problem?

Thanks alot!

Re: Weird Problem with OpenVR SDK

Ken Martin

Have you set

# This option determines if the VR rendering code will become
# the default renderer
option(VTK_OPENVR_OBJECT_FACTORY
  "Make openVR the default render window for VTK" ON)

to off? Otherwise the factory mechanism will always try to create the openvr classes.