Why does the OBJ (WaveFront) Exporter only take vtkRenderWindow as input?

Why does the OBJ (WaveFront) Exporter only take vtkRenderWindow as input?

vtk user
Hello vtk users,

I was asking myself why the vtkOBJExporter has the methods SetInput(vtkRenderWindow *renWin) and SetRenderWindow(vtkRenderWindow *renWin), but no simple SetInputData(vtkPolyData *poly). As far as I checked, WaveFront also only stores geometries (like STLs) and no contexts, please correct me if I am wrong. So why the detour?

Thanks alot!

Re: Why does the OBJ (WaveFront) Exporter only take vtkRenderWindow as input?

Ken Martin
I believe it is because OBJ files often go with MTL files and we need the actor/properties to write out the materials. Exporters in VTK are designed to write our a scene which can include positions, textures, material properties, etc.  I think there is a vtkOBJWriter class that may be more in line with what you are suggesting.