announce: VTK 8.2.0.rc1 is ready to try

David E DeMarle
Hi folks,

VTK 8.2.0 release candidate 1 is out^1. Please give the release candidate a try and report any problems that you find to us via the gitlab issue tracker with an "8.2.0" milestone. Developers, use the milestone to let us know of any fixes that you want integrated to the release branch in time for 8.2.0 final in a few weeks time. Ideally your branches will start at or above the 8.2.0 tag.

We are still gathering feedback from the 108 committers to make up the official release notes but in the meantime here is my summary of some of the bigger changes.

* Tcl, OpenGL"1" and Qt4 are no longer supported in this release.
* Visual Studio 2013 is deprecated as are the GeoVis modules.
* There is a new infrastructure for selection that supports boolean combinations of difference selection types. The original selection infrastructure has not yet been deprecated.
* There is a new reader foundation class that makes it more straightforward to add new file formats.
* There is a brand new high performance algorithm for extracting isosurfaces from unstructured grids which generally performs 15x faster than its predecessor.
* The vtkMolecule classes gained distributed memory parallel features and an ability to derive bonds from nuclei.
* Users can now customize volume rendering with their own shaders in the same way that polydatamappers can be customized.
* Volume rendering now has a direct isosuface mode.
* A number of VTK-m's accelerated filters were exposed inside VTK filters.
* QVTKOpenGLWidget has been refactored and once again supports quad buffer (active) stereo.

As usual the API difference report is on the wiki.

Thank you for all the great effort VTK community!

p.s. If you look carefully you may notice that there are actually two new releases on the download page today. The 8.1.2 patch release is just a few bug fix commits beyond the former 8.1.1. 8.1.2 should be a drop in replacement for any codes out there that are using 8.1.1 and we recommend it at least until 8.2.0 is finalized.

^1 Well nearly out, I haven't pushed the signed tag on commit 6aa7b028 yet, nor have I published the data tarballs on the download page, but those will be up shortly.

David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.
Principal Engineer
21 Corporate Drive
Clifton Park, NY 12065-8662
Phone: 518-881-4909

Re: [vtkusers] announce: VTK 8.2.0.rc1 is ready to try

David E DeMarle
Yes they appear to be there. See David Gobbi's commit.

This is the full set of new changes in 8.1.2.

David E. DeMarle (1):
      Increment version to VTK 8.1.2

David Gobbi (1):

Sankhesh Jhaveri (4):
      Fix bug where re-enabling seed widget wouldn't move existing seeds
      Invoke DeletePointEvent before deleting vtkSeedWidget seed
      Make some orientation marker widget methods virtual
      Issue error if vtkAlgorithm::GetInputConnection called on wrong port

Sean McBride (1):
      Added explicit cast to pacify UBSan’s “implicit-integer-truncation”

Shreeraj Jadhav (1):
      vtkImageBlend bug fix for compound mode

Will Schroeder (1):
      vtkFlyingEdges2D: Properly color multiple isocontour values

David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.
Principal Engineer
21 Corporate Drive
Clifton Park, NY 12065-8662
Phone: 518-881-4909

On Mon, Nov 5, 2018 at 4:47 PM Fahlgren, Eric <[hidden email]> wrote:

> p.s. If you look carefully you may notice that there are actually two new releases on the download page today. The 8.1.2 patch release is just a few bug fix commits beyond the former 8.1.1. 8.1.2 should be a drop in replacement for any codes out there that are using 8.1.1 and we recommend it at least until 8.2.0 is finalized.

David,

Do you know off the top of your head if the Python 3.7 (const char * in Py headers) bug fixes are in 8.1.2?

Thanks,

Eric