assigning vtkLookupTable to vtkpolydata

Sam Raby
I am running the following example for coloring, which works fine. I see that in this example, after the look up table is created there is a loop to iterate through the look up table and assign the colors to vtkUnsignedCharArray, and then assign it to a vtkpolydata as color. I understand the logic, but I am not sure why we need to iterate through the lookuo table one by one and assign it to another data structure, as oppose to just assigning the look up table directly to the mapper, which could be much faster. Is there a way in this example to assign the lookup table directly to the mapper and remove theĀ vtkUnsignedCharArray?

Thanks
-sam