bone segmentation

watermelon
What's the algorithms about bone segmentation of Mimics Medical software?

Re: bone segmentation

Summer Sun
Thresholding and region growing I suppose.

Re: bone segmentation

watermelon
I suppose too,but I try to segment a piece of vertebra with thresholding and region growing, I get a whole vertebrae. The algorithm of Mimics software can get a piece of bone without connecting to the adjacent bones.So It's not just simple thresholding and region growing segmentation algorithm.What do you think?
bone segmentation image

Re: bone segmentation

Summer Sun
I don't think Mimics can do this automatically, it rely heavily on the thresholding value you select, and the image data you provide.

Here you get a whole vertebrae instead of one piece because your thresholding range is too large and cannot make vertebrae pieces individual from each other.
But if you thresholding range is too small, you might lose some image detail.

So to my knowledge, there's two option:
Option A is to erase extra pixels slice by slice near the connection of vertebrae pieces to avoid misconnection.
Option B is to shrink your thresholding, but that might lose some image detail and make the generated model tough.

BTW, what's your problem with VTK here?

Re: bone segmentation

watermelon
When  I get a whole vertebrae, I use vtkCutter to cut extra vertebrae, But it is not very good. I think it is necessary to improve segmentation algorithm. So I should go to ITK forum,thank you all the same.