cmTryCompileExec has stopped working (CMake GUI)

cmTryCompileExec has stopped working (CMake GUI)

John Anaia
While configuring CMAKE to compile VTK from source, I got this error message twice:

cmTryCompileExec764526227.exe has stopped working. (the number in name suffix varys)

After selecting Close the Program, CMAKE continues to configure. Please note that this error message popped up before I changed any parameter value on CMake GUI. Qt support and TCL Wrap were not enabled. I googled around and found that this may be an unresolved issue for my configuration:

CMake 2.8.212
VS 11 x64 Pro.
VTK 6.1
Qt 5.2.1-opengl
Windows 8.1 Home
TCL 8.6.1

Is it better to use non-OpenGL version of Qt 5.2.1? Any solution to this problem.

Thank you for your assistance.
John

Re: cmTryCompileExec has stopped working (CMake GUI)

David Cole-2
> While configuring CMAKE to compile VTK from source, I got this error
message twice:

> cmTryCompileExec764526227.exe has stopped working. (the number in
name suffix varys)

This change to the HDF5 source code behind their try_run tests fixes
this problem:

    http://review.source.kitware.com/#/c/15725/

You could patch your own VTK tree with a similar change to get the fix
locally until it is available in a VTK release...

HTH,
David C.

Re: cmTryCompileExec has stopped working (CMake GUI)

David E DeMarle
Could one of you file a bug report to make sure I don't forget to apply the patch before the next release?

thanks

David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.
R&D Engineer
21 Corporate Drive
Clifton Park, NY 12065-8662
Phone: 518-881-4909

On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 10:39 AM, David Cole <[hidden email]> wrote:
While configuring CMAKE to compile VTK from source, I got this error
message twice:

cmTryCompileExec764526227.exe has stopped working. (the number in
name suffix varys)

This change to the HDF5 source code behind their try_run tests fixes this problem:

   http://review.source.kitware.com/#/c/15725/

You could patch your own VTK tree with a similar change to get the fix locally until it is available in a VTK release...

HTH,
David C.

Re: cmTryCompileExec has stopped working (CMake GUI)

David E DeMarle
nvm, I see Dave Cole's patch is already on it's way to master and the next release.

David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.
R&D Engineer
21 Corporate Drive
Clifton Park, NY 12065-8662
Phone: 518-881-4909

On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 2:45 PM, David E DeMarle <[hidden email]> wrote:
Could one of you file a bug report to make sure I don't forget to apply the patch before the next release?

thanks

David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.
R&D Engineer
21 Corporate Drive
Clifton Park, NY 12065-8662
Phone: <a href="tel:518-881-4909" value="+15188814909" target="_blank">518-881-4909

On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 10:39 AM, David Cole <[hidden email]> wrote:
While configuring CMAKE to compile VTK from source, I got this error
message twice:

cmTryCompileExec764526227.exe has stopped working. (the number in
name suffix varys)

This change to the HDF5 source code behind their try_run tests fixes this problem:

   http://review.source.kitware.com/#/c/15725/

You could patch your own VTK tree with a similar change to get the fix locally until it is available in a VTK release...

HTH,
David C.

Re: cmTryCompileExec has stopped working (CMake GUI)

John Anaia
Hi David,

Thank you for fixing this problem. But I could not find any HDF5 related directory or file or ThirdParty/hdf5/vtkhdf5/Resources/ConversionTests.c in my VTK 6.1 source codes. Is that CMake code? I don't know how to fix these two errors on my side. BTW, without fixing those two CMake errors, I could still compile VTK from source and VTK examples could run without any issues.

Thank you,
John

On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 7:39 AM, David Cole <[hidden email]> wrote:
While configuring CMAKE to compile VTK from source, I got this error
message twice:

cmTryCompileExec764526227.exe has stopped working. (the number in
name suffix varys)

This change to the HDF5 source code behind their try_run tests fixes this problem:

   http://review.source.kitware.com/#/c/15725/

You could patch your own VTK tree with a similar change to get the fix locally until it is available in a VTK release...

HTH,
David C.

Re: cmTryCompileExec has stopped working (CMake GUI)

David Cole-2
Are you sure the ConversionTests.c file is not in your VTK source tree?
According to git, it's been there in that same location since prior to
the v6.0.0.rc1 tag.

The way to fix these two errors on your side is to make the same
changes to that file as I made in the gerrit patch that was merged
yesterday.

On the other hand, it only affects a very small bit of HDF5 code, which
you may not even be using.... so as long as you have got things built
and working to your satisfaction, you're all set for now.