dl module

Leila Baghdadi
Hi everyone.

I am using python2.2 on 64 bit machine. I have discovered that
Wrapping/Python/vtk/__init__.py tries to import the dl module which
unfortunately have some issues on 64 bit

>>> import dl
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
SystemError: module dl requires sizeof(int) == sizeof(long) ==
sizeof(char*)

Just wondering if anyone has come up with a solution.

Thanks

Re: dl module

David Gobbi-2
The solution is this:  In __init__.py, look for this:

try:
    import dl
except ImportError:
    dl = None

And change it to this:

try:
    import dl
except ImportError:
    dl = None
except SystemError:
    dl = None

I know this fix works on linux-ia64, so if you can confirm that it also
works on your linux-x86_64 system then I'll commit it to cvs along with
some comments about why its there.

 - David

Leila Baghdadi wrote:

>Hi everyone.
>
>I am using python2.2 on 64 bit machine. I have discovered that
>Wrapping/Python/vtk/__init__.py tries to import the dl module which
>unfortunately have some issues on 64 bit

>Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
>SystemError: module dl requires sizeof(int) == sizeof(long) ==
>sizeof(char*)
>

>Just wondering if anyone has come up with a solution.
>
>Thanks

Re: dl module

David Gobbi-2
Hmm... I looked and the fix is already in cvs.  Make sure that the
__init__.py that your program is getting is the same as the one in VTK cvs.

David Gobbi wrote:

> The solution is this:  In __init__.py, look for this:
>
> try:
>    import dl
> except ImportError:
>    dl = None
>
> And change it to this:
>
> try:
>    import dl
> except ImportError:
>    dl = None
> except SystemError:
>    dl = None
>
> I know this fix works on linux-ia64, so if you can confirm that it
> also works on your linux-x86_64 system then I'll commit it to cvs
> along with some comments about why its there.
>
> - David
>

> Leila Baghdadi wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone.
>>
>> I am using python2.2 on 64 bit machine. I have discovered that
>> Wrapping/Python/vtk/__init__.py tries to import the dl module which
>> unfortunately have some issues on 64 bit

>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
>> SystemError: module dl requires sizeof(int) == sizeof(long) ==
>> sizeof(char*)
>>

>> Just wondering if anyone has come up with a solution.
>>
>> Thanks

Re: dl module

Leila Baghdadi
Hi David,