"vtkCommonCore-6.0.dll is missing from your computer".

"vtkCommonCore-6.0.dll is missing from your computer".

kidane
Dear all VTK users,

I am new user to ITK/VTK. I installed both ITK_4.5 and VTK_6.0 using Cmake 2.8 on windows in Visual studio 2012. I used the examples CMakeLists.text and myProgram.cxx given in the ITK_VTK guide to test and build a project. I didn't get any error while I was creating and building the project.

the problems comes when I tried to execute the built project using image input. it is giving me an error "vtkCommonCore-6.0.dll is missing from your computer".

could anyone help me please?
Thanks in advance for your consideration.

Hiliwi

Re: "vtkCommonCore-6.0.dll is missing from your computer".

John Drescher-2
> I am new user to ITK/VTK. I installed both ITK_4.5 and VTK_6.0 using Cmake
> 2.8 on windows in Visual studio 2012. I used the examples CMakeLists.text
> and myProgram.cxx given in the ITK_VTK guide to test and build a project. I
> didn't get any error while I was creating and building the project.
>
> the problems comes when I tried to execute the built project using image
> input. it is giving me an error "vtkCommonCore-6.0.dll is missing from your
> computer".
>
> could anyone help me please?

First search the vtk bin folder to see if you have that file.

John

Re: "vtkCommonCore-6.0.dll is missing from your computer".

Marcus D. Hanwell-2
On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 11:08 AM, hiliwi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear all VTK users,
>
> I am new user to ITK/VTK. I installed both ITK_4.5 and VTK_6.0 using Cmake
> 2.8 on windows in Visual studio 2012. I used the examples CMakeLists.text
> and myProgram.cxx given in the ITK_VTK guide to test and build a project. I
> didn't get any error while I was creating and building the project.
>
> the problems comes when I tried to execute the built project using image
> input. it is giving me an error "vtkCommonCore-6.0.dll is missing from your
> computer".
>
> could anyone help me please?

Windows has no RPATH concept, and so will only look for DLLs in the
same directory as your executable or in your PATH. You should figure
out where the DLLs are and add that to your PATH in the current shell.
When packaging you can either statically link, or package the
executable with DLLs in the same directory.

Marcus

Both the debug and release libraries are in C:\VTK\bin\lib\Debug and C:\VTK\bin\lib\Release. do I need to copy and past them some where else or there is something that i have to link the path to the VS solution project?

Re: "vtkCommonCore-6.0.dll is missing from your computer".

John Drescher-2
> Both the debug and release libraries are in C:\VTK\bin\lib\Debug and
> C:\VTK\bin\lib\Release. do I need to copy and past them some where else or
> there is something that i have to link the path to the VS solution project?

There is nothing to link to.

I highly recommend to just copy these to the Release and Debug folders
for your application.

You could also put one of these in your system PATH variable however
this can lead to random crashes of your application if you mix release
and debug in the same application. You can not safely use Visual
Studio Release dlls in a debug application or Debug dlls in a release
application. Both of these will cause you to have more than 1 heap.
And that leads to a situation where if you allocate memory in 1 heap
and try to free it in a second heap this will corrupt one or both
heaps causing your application to crash on an allocation or
deallocation some time in the future.

John

Re: "vtkCommonCore-6.0.dll is missing from your computer".

Madan Kumar Y
I have the dll in the relase and debug folderos of vtk but still the missing dll is appearing.

Re: "vtkCommonCore-6.0.dll is missing from your computer".

Madan Kumar Y
I had similar problems. The actual problem was the system's environment variables. once the proper path of user variables is set. The program executed.

Thanks,
Madan