Quantcast

raytracing a point cloud to generate perspective projection

raytracing a point cloud to generate perspective projection

bobsta
I have just got started with vtk, having tried out other geometry processing software tools. I wish to generate a 2d perspective projection from a 3d point cloud. The points are extracted from a DICOM RT Structure Set and represent anatomical structures comprising a plurality of closed polygons each polygon having a number of points (x,y,z, tuples). I need to determine a projection of the structures on an image plane. More specifically I would like to write a binary mask file at the image plane where a "0" indicates that the bixel is outside the particular structure, and "1" indicates that the bixel is inside the structure.

I need to do this for 5-10 structures generating up to 180 projections (i.e. the camera/scene rotates in 2degree steps). Attached is an unprocessed file (no processing of points e.g. outlier removal/unoriented normal removal) has been performed. Furthermore the determination of the projection should be performed quickly (max 1 minute for all projections of all structures, worst case 1800)), since post processing of the binary masks is required by other software.

Any assistance would be gratefully appreciated.

structure.xyz (86K) Download Attachment

Re: raytracing a point cloud to generate perspective projection

Jothy
I don't really understand your problem, but you can have a look at

http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/VTK/Examples/SimpleOperations/ProjectPointPlane

and also, you can use camera settings to project the points in the scene at a given distance.Something like this

Renderer.GetActiveCamera().SetPosition([0,0,1000])
 Renderer.GetActiveCamera().SetFocalPoint(0,0,0)
 Renderer.GetActiveCamera().Pitch(90)

Jothy

On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 2:28 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

David Doria-2
On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 10:29 AM, Jothy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I don't really understand your problem, but you can have a look at
>
> http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/VTK/Examples/SimpleOperations/ProjectPointPlane
>
> and also, you can use camera settings to project the points in the scene at
> a given distance.Something like this
>
> Renderer.GetActiveCamera().SetPosition([0,0,1000])
>  Renderer.GetActiveCamera().SetFocalPoint(0,0,0)
>  Renderer.GetActiveCamera().Pitch(90)
>

> Jothy

You might also want to look at
http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/VTK/Examples/PolyData/PerspectiveTransform