reading .neu file into vtkUnstructuredGrid object

reading .neu file into vtkUnstructuredGrid object

Pavol
Hello,
I'm trying to read .neu file into vtkUnstcturedGrid.
I have created vtkUnstructuredGrid object using
vtkSmartPointer<vtkUnstructuredGrid> unstructuredGrid =
                        vtkSmartPointer<vtkUnstructuredGrid>::New();

Every point coords are inserted into vtkPoints object which is at the end ofreading set for unstructured gria via method SetPoints. Before reading and setting up cells for unstructuredGrid I am calling unstructuredGrid->Allocate(nCells); (nCells represent total amount of cells) in a while cycle I am reading ids of eah point which forms cell (cells for the object are of same type) into idList and then using unstructuredGrid->InsertNextCell(VTK_HEXAHEDRON,idList); I am inserting cells into unstructuredGrid object.
Till this point everithing for me seems to be right and program seems to work properly but visualizing this object I get this:

output from paraview displaying points and object surface with edges:

something is wrong there... object suppost to be regular cube formed by cells of the smae type. So for me it seems like problem comes with cells...

I am trying to read .neu file for points and cells and .msh file for the faces.
I want to :
- use Gambit to create computing mesh for the object (furnace to be spefific),
- read it into vtkUnstructuredGrid,
- set up initial and boundary conditions (especialy for this purpose i want to read faces),
- using method of elementary balances compute material properies in time during thermal processing,
- use vtkCellData (add multiple arrays)  as data storage for computing,
- visuslize  proces using paraview and vtk.

So...
If anyone can help me with this, I will be really thankfull.

Have a great day
Best regards
Pavol

Re: reading .neu file into vtkUnstructuredGrid object

Yumin Yuan
Hi Pavol,

This is not answering your question directly, but in VTK, there is a vtkGAMBITReader, which outputs a vtkUnstructuredGrid. Is that reader not able to read your .neu file? If not, at least you can check out how it is constructing vtkUnstructuredGrid as output.

Also, based on your description of what you want to do, you may want to checkout our  Computational Model Builder (CMB) framework, especially the ModelBuilder application suite. The CMB suite is for managing the full life cycle of a  simulation and the core resources required to define the simulation. The applications are developed on top of paraview, and the install package also includes a fairly-up-to-date paraview. Also like Paraview, all these tools are open source.

If you have any questions on these tools, you can use these mailing lists

Best,
Yumin

On Sat, Jan 2, 2016 at 12:04 PM, Pavol <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]
<http://vtk.1045678.n5.nabble.com/file/n5735732/01.png>
output from paraview displaying points and object surface with edges:
<http://vtk.1045678.n5.nabble.com/file/n5735732/02.png>