render large point cloud with variable color and size

render large point cloud with variable color and size

Tudor Achim
Hi everyone,
I have a quick basic usage question -- hope this is possible within VTK. Right now I've got a python module that can render a point cloud with 2.5m elements. What I'd like to do is add functionality to have per-point colors, per-point sizes, and a per-point selector so I can execute code based on which point is selected. I have searched the mailing list and the one thread about VTKPointCloud didn't seem to address the first two questions. Is it possible to do this in VTK?

Thanks!
Tudor

Re: render large point cloud with variable color and size

Ken Martin
Yes it is, probably your best starting point (assuming a recent 7.0 or later VTK with the new OpenGL backend) would be vtkPointGaussianMapper

with examples (C++ sorry) here

and here

While it is called "Gaussian" it can do flat splats as well etc as you can specify shader code for the splat.