video decoding in VTK

Ken Martin

I have a customer where we will need to decode video on windows in a VTK based app. We can convert their video to whatever format we want offline. Anyone here have experience with something like this? Is libvpx or ffmpeg the way to go? Or use Microsoft Media Foundation?

Thanks!
Ken

--
Ken Martin PhD
Distinguished Engineer

Re: video decoding in VTK

Ben Boeckel
On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 10:29:36 -0400, Ken Martin wrote:
> I have a customer where we will need to decode video on windows in a VTK
> based app. We can convert their video to whatever format we want offline.
> Anyone here have experience with something like this? Is libvpx or ffmpeg
> the way to go? Or use Microsoft Media Foundation?

Using something like libvpx directly probably isn't the best. Are
individual frames needed or is it just going to be rendered into an
OpenGL context? If the former, I'd recommend ffmpeg (GPL with certain
codecs enabled (namely x264 and x265), LGPL otherwise). If the latter,
libmpv[1] might be a simpler API (with support for controls and the like
already there). It has an LGPL flag to disable the GPL bits (they're in
the process of relicensing[2]) which shouldn't affect the library too
much.

--Ben

[1]https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv
[2]https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv/issues/2033

Re: video decoding in VTK

David Gobbi
If you use Media Foundation you avoid most licensing issues.  I haven't used it, but I found the ancient Video for Windows API to be straightforward.  One issue with ffmpeg is that the API is still evolving, so year-to-year maintenance of software that uses it is a concern.

 - David

On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 09:49:21 -0600, David Gobbi wrote:
> If you use Media Foundation you avoid most licensing issues.  I haven't
> used it, but I found the ancient Video for Windows API to be
> straightforward.  One issue with ffmpeg is that the API is still evolving,
> so year-to-year maintenance of software that uses it is a concern.

FFmpeg has stabilized its API AFAIK. Or at least the version numbers
actually seem to follow semver rules.

--Ben