vtk and segmentation

Tasnim
Hi,
I have a simple question. Is there a filter for mesh segmentation in vtk???

Re: vtk and segmentation

neollie
Hi, no.
j.

Re: vtk and segmentation

Tasnim
thanks

Re: vtk and segmentation

Bill Lorensen
Yes there are filters for mesh segmentation. For example the threshold filters and the connectivity filters.

Perhaps you can be more specific regarding what segmentation you want.

On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 3:39 PM, tasnim <[hidden email]> wrote:
thanks

Re: vtk and segmentation

David Gobbi
On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 1:55 PM, Bill Lorensen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Yes there are filters for mesh segmentation. For example the threshold
> filters and the connectivity filters.
>
> Perhaps you can be more specific regarding what segmentation you want.

I suspect the original poster wanted image segmentation with
deformable mesh models.  Remove the "deformable," and both
vtkMarchingCubes and vtkContourFilter are candidates.

 - David

Re: vtk and segmentation

Tasnim
I seek not a precise filter, but I want a filter that segments the mesh and allows me to retrieve the mesh points by each region
David Gobbi wrote
On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 1:55 PM, Bill Lorensen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Yes there are filters for mesh segmentation. For example the threshold
> filters and the connectivity filters.
>
> Perhaps you can be more specific regarding what segmentation you want.

I suspect the original poster wanted image segmentation with
deformable mesh models.  Remove the "deformable," and both
vtkMarchingCubes and vtkContourFilter are candidates.

 - David

Re: vtk and segmentation

Bill Lorensen
If you have mesh mesh of multiple disconnected segments you can use vtkConnectivityFIlter to extract each connected component.

On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 4:25 PM, tasnim <[hidden email]> wrote:
I seek not a precise filter, but I want a filter that segments the mesh and
allows me to retrieve the mesh points by each region

David Gobbi wrote

> On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 1:55 PM, Bill Lorensen &lt;bill.lorensen@&gt;
> wrote:
>> Yes there are filters for mesh segmentation. For example the threshold
>> filters and the connectivity filters.
>>
>> Perhaps you can be more specific regarding what segmentation you want.
>
> I suspect the original poster wanted image segmentation with
> deformable mesh models.  Remove the "deformable," and both
> vtkMarchingCubes and vtkContourFilter are candidates.
>
>  - David

> http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_FAQ

Re: vtk and segmentation

David Doria-2-3
On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 4:25 PM, tasnim <[hidden email]> wrote:
I seek not a precise filter, but I want a filter that segments the mesh and
allows me to retrieve the mesh points by each region

"Segments the mesh" according to what criterion? Please give us an example - perhaps a screenshot of your mesh, and a description of the segments you hope to achieve.

David

Re: vtk and segmentation

Tasnim
This post was updated on .
Bill Lorensen wrote
If you have mesh mesh of multiple disconnected segments you can use
vtkConnectivityFIlter to extract each connected component.
I can't used the vtkConnectivityFIlter because when i apply it for my meshes, it gives one color because it has just one component.
David Doria-2-3 wrote
"Segments the mesh" according to what criterion? Please give us an example - perhaps a screenshot of your mesh, and a description of the segments you hope to achieve.

David
I didn't have a specific criterion, I just want a filter that allows me to segment a mesh, and, surely, enable me to retrieve the cells and vertex associated to each region. Because, i'm working for : local mesh refinement. I don't have a specific mesh, i work on apple, bunny...All 3d mesh's format. I used now the vtkOctree, and i succeed to subdivide my mesh to 8 segments.
Best Regards,
Tasnim