vtk-glTF

Sal Choueib

Hello All,

   We are currently in the process of developing an exporter to glTF 2.0. Does anyone have experience working with gltf? Or perhaps knows of any resources that might be useful?

   Furthermore, we are utilizing tiny-gltf, a header only glTF library, to serialize data and write the gltf file (https://github.com/syoyo/tinygltf). We are hoping someone could comment on our choice of library. Is this library good? Any potential risks or cons to using this library? Does anyone have suggestions for a better library to use?

  Thank you for your help,

Sal

Re: vtk-glTF

Sebastien Jourdain via vtk-developers
FWIW I'm working on a simple very basic starting point for gltf ala

if you want to work off that. I'll probably try merging it soon .

- Ken

On Thu, Nov 29, 2018 at 9:11 PM Sal Choueib <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello All,

   We are currently in the process of developing an exporter to glTF 2.0. Does anyone have experience working with gltf? Or perhaps knows of any resources that might be useful?

   Furthermore, we are utilizing tiny-gltf, a header only glTF library, to serialize data and write the gltf file (https://github.com/syoyo/tinygltf). We are hoping someone could comment on our choice of library. Is this library good? Any potential risks or cons to using this library? Does anyone have suggestions for a better library to use?

  Thank you for your help,

Sal

Ken Martin PhD
Distinguished Engineer
Kitware Inc.
101 East Weaver Street
Carrboro, North Carolina
27510 USA

Re: vtk-glTF

Steve Pieper-2
Hi -

I'd love to see a glTF 2.0 exporter native in VTK.  I wrote a glTF 1.0 version in python a while back if you want to look at that for reference [1].

On request: please include a WriteToMemory option like in the vtkImageWriter classes so it can be used easily without the file system (e.g. like in the web server mode I was doing).

Good luck,
Steve

On Thu, Nov 29, 2018 at 10:32 PM Ken Martin via vtk-developers <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Having a glTF reader/writer would be great to have in VTK specifically for us as geospatial community is producing more data in this format.

- Aashish

On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 7:57 AM Steve Pieper <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi -

I'd love to see a glTF 2.0 exporter native in VTK.  I wrote a glTF 1.0 version in python a while back if you want to look at that for reference [1].

On request: please include a WriteToMemory option like in the vtkImageWriter classes so it can be used easily without the file system (e.g. like in the web server mode I was doing).

Good luck,
Steve

On Thu, Nov 29, 2018 at 10:32 PM Ken Martin via vtk-developers <[hidden email]> wrote:
FWIW I'm working on a simple very basic starting point for gltf ala

if you want to work off that. I'll probably try merging it soon .

- Ken

On Thu, Nov 29, 2018 at 9:11 PM Sal Choueib <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello All,

   We are currently in the process of developing an exporter to glTF 2.0. Does anyone have experience working with gltf? Or perhaps knows of any resources that might be useful?

   Furthermore, we are utilizing tiny-gltf, a header only glTF library, to serialize data and write the gltf file (https://github.com/syoyo/tinygltf). We are hoping someone could comment on our choice of library. Is this library good? Any potential risks or cons to using this library? Does anyone have suggestions for a better library to use?

  Thank you for your help,

Sal

Ken Martin PhD
Distinguished Engineer
Kitware Inc.
101 East Weaver Street
Carrboro, North Carolina
27510 USA

| Aashish Chaudhary
| Technical Leader
| Kitware Inc.

Re: vtk-glTF

Sebastien Jourdain via vtk-developers
HI Aashish, list,

We are currently working on a gltf reader ! But only for next year.
Let us know if you want to be kept in the loop.

Best,

Mathieu Westphal

On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 3:58 PM Aashish Chaudhary via vtk-developers <[hidden email]> wrote:
Having a glTF reader/writer would be great to have in VTK specifically for us as geospatial community is producing more data in this format.

- Aashish

On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 7:57 AM Steve Pieper <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi -

I'd love to see a glTF 2.0 exporter native in VTK.  I wrote a glTF 1.0 version in python a while back if you want to look at that for reference [1].

On request: please include a WriteToMemory option like in the vtkImageWriter classes so it can be used easily without the file system (e.g. like in the web server mode I was doing).

Good luck,
Steve

On Thu, Nov 29, 2018 at 10:32 PM Ken Martin via vtk-developers <[hidden email]> wrote:
FWIW I'm working on a simple very basic starting point for gltf ala

if you want to work off that. I'll probably try merging it soon .

- Ken

On Thu, Nov 29, 2018 at 9:11 PM Sal Choueib <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello All,

   We are currently in the process of developing an exporter to glTF 2.0. Does anyone have experience working with gltf? Or perhaps knows of any resources that might be useful?

   Furthermore, we are utilizing tiny-gltf, a header only glTF library, to serialize data and write the gltf file (https://github.com/syoyo/tinygltf). We are hoping someone could comment on our choice of library. Is this library good? Any potential risks or cons to using this library? Does anyone have suggestions for a better library to use?

  Thank you for your help,

Sal

Ken Martin PhD
Distinguished Engineer
Kitware Inc.
101 East Weaver Street
Carrboro, North Carolina
27510 USA

| Aashish Chaudhary
| Technical Leader
| Kitware Inc.

Re: vtk-glTF

Sebastien Jourdain via vtk-developers
Yes please do. You could post the updates on the mailing list (dev).

Thanks

On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 10:01 AM Mathieu Westphal <[hidden email]> wrote:
HI Aashish, list,

We are currently working on a gltf reader ! But only for next year.
Let us know if you want to be kept in the loop.

Best,

Mathieu Westphal

On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 3:58 PM Aashish Chaudhary via vtk-developers <[hidden email]> wrote:
Having a glTF reader/writer would be great to have in VTK specifically for us as geospatial community is producing more data in this format.

- Aashish

On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 7:57 AM Steve Pieper <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi -

I'd love to see a glTF 2.0 exporter native in VTK.  I wrote a glTF 1.0 version in python a while back if you want to look at that for reference [1].

On request: please include a WriteToMemory option like in the vtkImageWriter classes so it can be used easily without the file system (e.g. like in the web server mode I was doing).

Good luck,
Steve

On Thu, Nov 29, 2018 at 10:32 PM Ken Martin via vtk-developers <[hidden email]> wrote:
FWIW I'm working on a simple very basic starting point for gltf ala

if you want to work off that. I'll probably try merging it soon .

- Ken

On Thu, Nov 29, 2018 at 9:11 PM Sal Choueib <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello All,

   We are currently in the process of developing an exporter to glTF 2.0. Does anyone have experience working with gltf? Or perhaps knows of any resources that might be useful?

   Furthermore, we are utilizing tiny-gltf, a header only glTF library, to serialize data and write the gltf file (https://github.com/syoyo/tinygltf). We are hoping someone could comment on our choice of library. Is this library good? Any potential risks or cons to using this library? Does anyone have suggestions for a better library to use?

  Thank you for your help,

Sal

Ken Martin PhD
Distinguished Engineer
Kitware Inc.
101 East Weaver Street
Carrboro, North Carolina
27510 USA

| Aashish Chaudhary
| Technical Leader
| Kitware Inc.

Re: vtk-glTF

Sebastien Jourdain via vtk-developers
For a list of existing IO toolkits, see "Converters, Importers, and Exporters"  on Khronos page for gltf here: https://www.khronos.org/gltf/

In iMSTK, we have been using ASSIMP (mentioned in the list above) for some other formats. I believe people inquired about integrating ASSIMP in VTK in the past.

Alexis Girault
R&D Engineer in Medical Computing
Kitware, Inc.

http://www.kitware.com

On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 10:04 AM Aashish Chaudhary via vtk-developers <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yes please do. You could post the updates on the mailing list (dev).

Thanks

On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 10:01 AM Mathieu Westphal <[hidden email]> wrote:
HI Aashish, list,

We are currently working on a gltf reader ! But only for next year.
Let us know if you want to be kept in the loop.

Best,

Mathieu Westphal

On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 3:58 PM Aashish Chaudhary via vtk-developers <[hidden email]> wrote:
Having a glTF reader/writer would be great to have in VTK specifically for us as geospatial community is producing more data in this format.

- Aashish

On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 7:57 AM Steve Pieper <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi -

I'd love to see a glTF 2.0 exporter native in VTK.  I wrote a glTF 1.0 version in python a while back if you want to look at that for reference [1].

On request: please include a WriteToMemory option like in the vtkImageWriter classes so it can be used easily without the file system (e.g. like in the web server mode I was doing).

Good luck,
Steve

On Thu, Nov 29, 2018 at 10:32 PM Ken Martin via vtk-developers <[hidden email]> wrote:
FWIW I'm working on a simple very basic starting point for gltf ala

if you want to work off that. I'll probably try merging it soon .

- Ken

On Thu, Nov 29, 2018 at 9:11 PM Sal Choueib <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello All,

   We are currently in the process of developing an exporter to glTF 2.0. Does anyone have experience working with gltf? Or perhaps knows of any resources that might be useful?

   Furthermore, we are utilizing tiny-gltf, a header only glTF library, to serialize data and write the gltf file (https://github.com/syoyo/tinygltf). We are hoping someone could comment on our choice of library. Is this library good? Any potential risks or cons to using this library? Does anyone have suggestions for a better library to use?

  Thank you for your help,

Sal

Ken Martin PhD
Distinguished Engineer
Kitware Inc.
101 East Weaver Street
Carrboro, North Carolina
27510 USA

| Aashish Chaudhary
| Technical Leader
| Kitware Inc.

Re: vtk-glTF

Sebastien Jourdain via vtk-developers
Has anyone looked into putting assimp into VTK?

On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 10:09 AM Alexis Girault via vtk-developers <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

FWIW I'm working on a simple very basic starting point for gltf ala

if you want to work off that. I'll probably try merging it soon .

- Ken

On Thu, Nov 29, 2018 at 9:11 PM Sal Choueib <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello All,

   We are currently in the process of developing an exporter to glTF 2.0. Does anyone have experience working with gltf? Or perhaps knows of any resources that might be useful?

   Furthermore, we are utilizing tiny-gltf, a header only glTF library, to serialize data and write the gltf file (https://github.com/syoyo/tinygltf). We are hoping someone could comment on our choice of library. Is this library good? Any potential risks or cons to using this library? Does anyone have suggestions for a better library to use?

Are there any plans for a glTF reader in vtk.js? With a writer in VTK, this may be an efficient path for VTK/ITK output in WebAssembly rendered in vtk.js.

- Matt

On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 10:23 AM Ken Martin via vtk-developers <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

FWIW I'm working on a simple very basic starting point for gltf ala

if you want to work off that. I'll probably try merging it soon .

- Ken

On Thu, Nov 29, 2018 at 9:11 PM Sal Choueib <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello All,

   We are currently in the process of developing an exporter to glTF 2.0. Does anyone have experience working with gltf? Or perhaps knows of any resources that might be useful?

   Furthermore, we are utilizing tiny-gltf, a header only glTF library, to serialize data and write the gltf file (https://github.com/syoyo/tinygltf). We are hoping someone could comment on our choice of library. Is this library good? Any potential risks or cons to using this library? Does anyone have suggestions for a better library to use?

assimp is looking great, although they have partial support for glTF. How did you use ASSIMP in iMSTK without using VTK?

- Aashish

On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 10:09 AM Alexis Girault <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

FWIW I'm working on a simple very basic starting point for gltf ala

if you want to work off that. I'll probably try merging it soon .

- Ken

On Thu, Nov 29, 2018 at 9:11 PM Sal Choueib <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello All,

   We are currently in the process of developing an exporter to glTF 2.0. Does anyone have experience working with gltf? Or perhaps knows of any resources that might be useful?

   Furthermore, we are utilizing tiny-gltf, a header only glTF library, to serialize data and write the gltf file (https://github.com/syoyo/tinygltf). We are hoping someone could comment on our choice of library. Is this library good? Any potential risks or cons to using this library? Does anyone have suggestions for a better library to use?

I would love that, but I'm not aware of any.

On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 8:46 AM Matt McCormick <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

FWIW I'm working on a simple very basic starting point for gltf ala

if you want to work off that. I'll probably try merging it soon .

- Ken

On Thu, Nov 29, 2018 at 9:11 PM Sal Choueib <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello All,

   We are currently in the process of developing an exporter to glTF 2.0. Does anyone have experience working with gltf? Or perhaps knows of any resources that might be useful?

   Furthermore, we are utilizing tiny-gltf, a header only glTF library, to serialize data and write the gltf file (https://github.com/syoyo/tinygltf). We are hoping someone could comment on our choice of library. Is this library good? Any potential risks or cons to using this library? Does anyone have suggestions for a better library to use?

Nicholas Milef from RPI was the one who inquired about ASSIMP in VTK: http://vtk.1045678.n5.nabble.com/Assimp-integration-td5741474.html
CCing in case he wants to follow up on it

Nick also integrated ASSIMP in iMSTK. To answer your question Aashish:
- iMSTK has its own data structure for geometries that uses Eigen: https://gitlab.kitware.com/iMSTK/iMSTK/tree/master/Source/Geometry/Mesh
- The ASSIMP importer converts (copies) the data from ASSIMP to those internal Eigen structures: https://gitlab.kitware.com/iMSTK/iMSTK/blob/master/Source/Geometry/Reader/imstkAssimpMeshIO.cpp
- The geometry vertices are mapped to a VTK data array with no copy: https://gitlab.kitware.com/iMSTK/iMSTK/blob/85c154f1/Source/Rendering/VTKRenderer/RenderDelegate/imstkVTKSurfaceMeshRenderDelegate.cpp#L48-52

On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 10:50 AM Sebastien Jourdain <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

FWIW I'm working on a simple very basic starting point for gltf ala

if you want to work off that. I'll probably try merging it soon .

- Ken

On Thu, Nov 29, 2018 at 9:11 PM Sal Choueib <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello All,

   We are currently in the process of developing an exporter to glTF 2.0. Does anyone have experience working with gltf? Or perhaps knows of any resources that might be useful?

   Furthermore, we are utilizing tiny-gltf, a header only glTF library, to serialize data and write the gltf file (https://github.com/syoyo/tinygltf). We are hoping someone could comment on our choice of library. Is this library good? Any potential risks or cons to using this library? Does anyone have suggestions for a better library to use?

Ken Martin PhD
Distinguished Engineer
Kitware Inc.
101 East Weaver Street
Carrboro, North Carolina
27510 USA

Re: vtk-glTF

Milef, Nicholas Boris
I also integrated Assimp with a fork of VTK before as well, but it was for something very specific because we needed bone weights/indices. However, from what I understand, Assimp seems to internally process the mesh data, so you may get slightly different results than the vtkOBJReader (for instance) because of vertex reordering.