vtk header listing compiled modules

Alexis Girault
Hi all,

We're currently working on improving the vtk ios viewer. The vtk app is currently configured with XCode, and we link against a vtk.framework that is cross-compiled for iOS through CMake.

We want the app to offer a way to attempt to load the files that are only supported by the vtk.framework that was built, so we need a way to know which modules were built from the Xcode Project (example: OBJ, STL, PLY might or might not make it).

Is there a header file we could include that is configured during vtk's build process to define the modules that should be part of the build?

Thanks!

Alexis

Re: vtk header listing compiled modules

Ben Boeckel
On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 12:10:39 -0500, Alexis Girault wrote:
> Is there a header file we could include that is configured during vtk's
> build process to define the modules that should be part of the build?

No, one could generate such a header based on the `VTK_ALL_MODULES`
CMake list though.

--Ben

On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 13:27:40 -0500, Ben Boeckel wrote:
> No, one could generate such a header based on the `VTK_ALL_MODULES`
> CMake list though.

Sorry, it is `VTK_MODULES_ALL`.

--Ben

Re: vtk header listing compiled modules

David Gobbi
If VTK is already built, it might be best to use the VTK_MODULES_ENABLED from VTKConfig.cmake.

 - David

On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 11:28 AM, Ben Boeckel <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 13:27:40 -0500, Ben Boeckel wrote:
> No, one could generate such a header based on the `VTK_ALL_MODULES`
> CMake list though.

Sorry, it is `VTK_MODULES_ALL`.

--Ben

Re: vtk header listing compiled modules

Alexis Girault
Thanks Ben, David.

Since we're in XCode and not using CMake at that point, I don't think we can grab anything from VTKConfig.cmake easily.

I'll look into generating a header, I assume I should try to use VTK_MODULES_ENABLED and not VTK_MODULES_ALL ?

Alexis Girault
R&D Engineer in Medical Computing
Kitware, Inc.

http://www.kitware.com

On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 1:35 PM, David Gobbi <[hidden email]> wrote:
If VTK is already built, it might be best to use the VTK_MODULES_ENABLED from VTKConfig.cmake.

 - David

On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 11:28 AM, Ben Boeckel <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 13:27:40 -0500, Ben Boeckel wrote:
> No, one could generate such a header based on the `VTK_ALL_MODULES`
> CMake list though.

Sorry, it is `VTK_MODULES_ALL`.

--Ben

On Thu, Dec 14, 2017 at 09:24:40 -0500, Alexis Girault wrote:
> Since we're in XCode and not using CMake at that point, I don't think we
> can grab anything from VTKConfig.cmake easily.
>
> I'll look into generating a header, I assume I should try to use
> VTK_MODULES_ENABLED
> and not VTK_MODULES_ALL ?

It depends whether you're using an external VTK or not. The
`find_package(VTK)` has `VTK_MODULES_ENABLED`, but it looks like it
comes from `VTK_CONFIG_MODULES_ENABLED` which is `VTK_MODULES_ENABLED`
without the test modules during the VTK build.

Would it be easier just to have everything from VTK compiled into a
single kit (a single library) or do you still need to know modules for
features?

--Ben

Re: vtk header listing compiled modules

Alexis Girault
when compiling VTK for iOS, it cross-compiles a vtk.framework with all the libraries from the selected modules in there. We need to know modules for features (example: can I include and create a vtkPLYReader in my reader manager).

I'll be looking into generating that header file then. Thanks for the tips.