vtk remote modules - more than one filter per?

vtk remote modules - more than one filter per?

Aron Helser
Hi Bill and vtk-devs,

I've successfully added a filter as a remote module to VTK, following https://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Remote_Modules, and it works great. However, I would like to combine two or more filters in a single repository. I think I could enable them together as a single remote module, but is there a way to allow them to be enabled separately?

I think I'm running afoul of the 2-level module globbing of VTK - since my filters are 3 levels deep from the root. Is there a sensible way to instruct cmake to look in my two subfolders?

I've tried a couple things, like adding a dummy module, with a CMakeLists.txt that does add_subdirectory() for each, but cmake seems to be ignoring my CMakeLists.txt

(Bill, I pinged you since you wrote the wiki page...)

Thanks!
Aron

Re: vtk remote modules - more than one filter per?

Brad King
On 05/21/2018 11:23 AM, Aron Helser wrote:
> I would like to combine two or more filters in a single repository.

Certainly two filters can exist in one module.  However, we the module
infrastructure (intentionally by design) does not allow module behavior
to be configured with options.  Therefore switching the filters separately
would require them to be in separate modules.

IIUC you want to have two remote modules in a single repository.  I don't
think we currently support that.

> I think I'm running afoul of the 2-level module globbing of VTK

Yes, the `Remote/` container directory takes up one level.  FYI we
currently support only modules at *exactly* two levels deep.  This was
by design for simplicity.

If we want to try to support your use case directly some design work will
be needed.  However, the current module system will be replaced by a whole
new module system soon so updates to the current one are discouraged.

For now I suggest using one repository with a separate branch for each
module.  Configure it as two different remote modules in VTK's source.
The `GIT_TAG` in each module will refer to a commit on a different
branch of the one repository.

-Brad

On Mon, May 21, 2018 at 1:54 PM, Brad King <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 05/21/2018 11:23 AM, Aron Helser wrote:
> I would like to combine two or more filters in a single repository.

Certainly two filters can exist in one module.  However, we the module
infrastructure (intentionally by design) does not allow module behavior
to be configured with options.  Therefore switching the filters separately
would require them to be in separate modules.

IIUC you want to have two remote modules in a single repository.  I don't
think we currently support that.
OK, glad I wasn't missing something obvious!

> I think I'm running afoul of the 2-level module globbing of VTK

Yes, the `Remote/` container directory takes up one level.  FYI we
currently support only modules at *exactly* two levels deep.  This was
by design for simplicity.

If we want to try to support your use case directly some design work will
be needed.  However, the current module system will be replaced by a whole
new module system soon so updates to the current one are discouraged.
Just curious when 'soon' might be? version 8.2 ?

For now I suggest using one repository with a separate branch for each
module.  Configure it as two different remote modules in VTK's source.
The `GIT_TAG` in each module will refer to a commit on a different
branch of the one repository.
Thanks! I thought of this as a possibility for organization, but I think it would feel a lot like separate repositories, so I'll get some feedback before going this route...

-Brad

On 05/21/2018 02:21 PM, Aron Helser wrote:
> On Mon, May 21, 2018 at 1:54 PM, Brad King wrote:
>> the current module system will be replaced by a whole
>> new module system soon
>
> Just curious when 'soon' might be? version 8.2 ?

Likely 9.x and in the latter portion of this year.

-Brad