vtkAVIWriter with renderer gradient background shows distinct lines

vtkAVIWriter with renderer gradient background shows distinct lines

santosh
I am trying to create a movie of an animation using vtkAVIWriter.
The renderer has a gradient background. The .avi file created has distinct lines/bands in the background because of the gradient. Is it possible to get rid of these lines. I notice that if I use a vtkBMPWriter and write an image, the image seems fine without any such lines/bands.

A code snippet of what I am doing:

window_to_image = vtk.vtkWindowToImageFilter()
window_to_image.SetInput(renWin.GetRenderWindow())
window_to_image.SetInputBufferTypeToRGB()
window_to_image.ReadFrontBufferOff()

writer = vtk.vtkAVIWriter()
writer.SetInputConnection(window_to_image.GetOutputPort())
I am running python wrapper of VTK-6.3.0 on windows

Thanks,
Santosh

Re: vtkAVIWriter with renderer gradient background shows distinct lines

Cory Quammen-2
Sounds like quantization/compression artifacts. You can try changing the quality setting to reduce compression via vtkAVIWriter::SetQuality().

HTH,
Cory

On Tue, Nov 27, 2018 at 8:55 AM Santosh Biradar <[hidden email]> wrote:
I am trying to create a movie of an animation using vtkAVIWriter.
The renderer has a gradient background. The .avi file created has distinct lines/bands in the background because of the gradient. Is it possible to get rid of these lines. I notice that if I use a vtkBMPWriter and write an image, the image seems fine without any such lines/bands.

A code snippet of what I am doing:

window_to_image = vtk.vtkWindowToImageFilter()
window_to_image.SetInput(renWin.GetRenderWindow())
window_to_image.SetInputBufferTypeToRGB()
window_to_image.ReadFrontBufferOff()

writer = vtk.vtkAVIWriter()
writer.SetInputConnection(window_to_image.GetOutputPort())
I am running python wrapper of VTK-6.3.0 on windows

Thanks,
Santosh

Cory Quammen
Staff R&D Engineer

Re: vtkAVIWriter with renderer gradient background shows distinct lines

santosh
Thanks for the quick response Cory.
I tried setting quality to 0,1,2. The quality of the movie was best for 2 and worst for 0 but the background remained the same in each case.
The quality of the output of the  filter (in this case, a vtkContourFilter) reduces with reduction in SetQuality but the background remains of the same quality.
There is no difference in the quality of the background.

I also get the same behavior in Paraview's Save Animation feature (version 5.5 on windows)

Thanks,
Santosh

On Tue, Nov 27, 2018 at 7:29 PM Cory Quammen <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I'm afraid I don't have a lot of experience with the AVI compression options. You might experiment with vtkAVIWriter::SetCompressorFourCC() to see if you can find a compressor that gives more satisfactory results.

Personally I prefer to dump animation frames and assemble them with outside video software.

Cory

On Tue, Nov 27, 2018 at 9:26 AM Santosh Biradar <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Andras Lasso

In 3D Slicer we use VP9 codec with MKV container and it works well. VP9 is not as widely used as H264 but it is completely royalty-free and offers good compression ratio and acceptable speed even with lossless settings.

We build required libraries (VP9, libwbm, yasm) using CMake superbuild on Windows/Linux/Mac. Container file reading/writing implementation is here: https://github.com/IGSIO/IGSIO/blob/master/Source/VideoIO/MKV/vtkMKVWriter.cxx, and VP9 codec is here: https://github.com/IGSIO/SlicerIGSIO/blob/master/VideoIO/Codecs/vtkVP9VolumeCodec.cxx.

Andras

Re: vtkAVIWriter with renderer gradient background shows distinct lines

santosh
Thanks Cory. I was able to try different compression options and was able to remove the background lines appearing because of the gradient albeit with large size of the AVI files.
Thanks Andras for pointing me to an alternate to vtkAVIWriter. I will explore the MKV container.

Santosh

On Wed, Nov 28, 2018 at 1:01 PM Andras Lasso <[hidden email]> wrote:

In 3D Slicer we use VP9 codec with MKV container and it works well. VP9 is not as widely used as H264 but it is completely royalty-free and offers good compression ratio and acceptable speed even with lossless settings.

We build required libraries (VP9, libwbm, yasm) using CMake superbuild on Windows/Linux/Mac. Container file reading/writing implementation is here: https://github.com/IGSIO/IGSIO/blob/master/Source/VideoIO/MKV/vtkMKVWriter.cxx, and VP9 codec is here: https://github.com/IGSIO/SlicerIGSIO/blob/master/VideoIO/Codecs/vtkVP9VolumeCodec.cxx.

Andras

Re: vtkAVIWriter with renderer gradient background shows distinct lines

David E DeMarle via vtkusers
Great, glad to hear it. What compression options did you settle on in
case someone runs into this issue in the future?

--
Cory Quammen
Staff R&D Engineer

Re: vtkAVIWriter with renderer gradient background shows distinct lines

santosh
Sorry for the late reply Cory
I tried the following options via  vtkAVIWriter's SetCompressorFourCC()  method

'MSVC'(default) - works but gives the scattered lines in the background  for gradient background
'DIB' -  Full Frames (Uncompressed) - works well and removes the gradient background problem - creates large AVI files (upto 300 MB for a 4-5 second animation)
'LAGS' - Lagarith Lossless Codec - got unknown compressor error
'MJPG' - got unknown compressor error
'DIVX'  - got unknown compressor error
'XVID' - got unknown compressor error
'H264' - got unknown compressor error