vtkBioeng with java !

Mark Hervagault
Hi,

I try to have vtkBoeing with java to use vtkCollisionDetectionFilter. I saw that there are cxx and tlc classe on the web ..

How to integrate them in vtk to work with java ?

Thank you,
Mark.

Re: vtkBioeng with java !

Sebastien Jourdain-2
Hi Mark,

I'm not sure to follow your question.
Any code that is in the VTK repository can be Java wrapped which means they can be use by any Java code.
But I'm not sure if the class that you try to use is or is not in VTK. If not depending on who wrote it, you can contribute it to the repo if the license is compatible.

Seb

On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 3:49 AM, Mark Hervagault <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I try to have vtkBoeing with java to use vtkCollisionDetectionFilter. I saw
that there are cxx and tlc classe on the web ..

How to integrate them in vtk to work with java ?

Thank you,
Mark.

Re: vtkBioeng with java !

Goodwin Lawlor-2
Hi Mark,

vtkbioeng is C++ library containing VTK subclasses. Like any VTK class they can wrapped into Tcl/Python/Java. I've wrapped Tcl & Python but not Java. It shouldn't be difficult though.

The licence is the same as VTK's - BSD. The licence is on the Sourceforge page but not Github - sorry, I'll updated that!

Switch on Java wrappers in Cmake and see what happens - report back with any hitches.

Thanks,

Goodwin

On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 4:54 PM, Sebastien Jourdain <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Mark,

I'm not sure to follow your question.
Any code that is in the VTK repository can be Java wrapped which means they can be use by any Java code.
But I'm not sure if the class that you try to use is or is not in VTK. If not depending on who wrote it, you can contribute it to the repo if the license is compatible.

Seb

On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 3:49 AM, Mark Hervagault <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I try to have vtkBoeing with java to use vtkCollisionDetectionFilter. I saw
that there are cxx and tlc classe on the web ..

How to integrate them in vtk to work with java ?

Thank you,
Mark.

Re: vtkBioeng with java !

Marcus D. Hanwell-2
On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 12:50 PM, Goodwin Lawlor
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> vtkbioeng is C++ library containing VTK subclasses. Like any VTK class they
> can wrapped into Tcl/Python/Java. I've wrapped Tcl & Python but not Java. It
> shouldn't be difficult though.
>
> The licence is the same as VTK's - BSD. The licence is on the Sourceforge
> page but not Github - sorry, I'll updated that!

This looks like an excellent candidate for the external VTK modules
that Bill Lorensen recently mentioned, it would be great to gather
more of these external modules in a searchable location. Thanks for
pointing it out.

Marcus

Re: vtkBioeng with java !

Jorge Perez
Hi, you can use the approach described in Examples/Build/vtkLocal

From the README file:

"This directory provides a starting point to create a local project
that adds classes to VTK.  It is intended to enable users to put a few
of their own classes into a new local kit.  The classes are
automatically wrapped into the same languages into which your VTK
build is wrapped."

Try first compiling vtkLocal and check if it is properly wrapped into Java.

best regards,

Jorge

I try to have vtkBoeing with java to use vtkCollisionDetectionFilter. I saw
that there are cxx and tlc classe on the web ..

How to integrate them in vtk to work with java ?

Thank you,
Mark.

Re: vtkBioeng with java !

Goodwin Lawlor-2
Hi Jorge,

vtkBioeng was originally set up like a vtkLocal project... it needs to be updated to use VTK6's modules though.

Thanks,

Goodwin

On Fri, Jun 20, 2014 at 9:50 AM, Jorge Perez <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi, you can use the approach described in Examples/Build/vtkLocal

From the README file:

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> vtkbioeng is C++ library containing VTK subclasses. Like any VTK class they
> can wrapped into Tcl/Python/Java. I've wrapped Tcl & Python but not Java. It
> shouldn't be difficult though.
>
> The licence is the same as VTK's - BSD. The licence is on the Sourceforge
> page but not Github - sorry, I'll updated that!

This looks like an excellent candidate for the external VTK modules
that Bill Lorensen recently mentioned, it would be great to gather
more of these external modules in a searchable location. Thanks for
pointing it out.

Marcus

Hi Marcus,

That's a great idea - I'll investigate ITK remote modules.

One of the reasons the classes weren't submitted to VTK for consideration in the first place was the maintenance overhead that I may or may not have been able to commit to.

I see ITK policy* requires a remote module to have a nightly build and an OA article on theory and usage. I'd be willing to do this but just need to find the time.

Thanks,

Goodwin