vtkCaptionActor2D always drawn on top of everything else ?

vtkCaptionActor2D always drawn on top of everything else ?

Renaud Lebrun

I am trying to visualize text labels in 3D space.

I currently use vtkCaptionActor2D but I can not manage the text to be
occluded by objects nearer to the camera.

The text generated by vtkCaptionActor2D is always drawn on top of
everything.

=> Would there be a way to allow vtkCaptionActor2D to be occluded by
nearer objects ?

Thanks in advance for your answer,
Renaud.

Re: vtkCaptionActor2D always drawn on top of everything else ?

David Lonie-2
Nope -- vtkCaptionActor2D renders in the overlay, which will always
occlude 3D geometry.

You may want to try vtkBillboardTextActor3D, which was recently added.
It doesn't do quite the same thing as the caption actor, but will mix
with 3D geometry.

On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 10:14 AM, Renaud Lebrun
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am trying to visualize text labels in 3D space.
>
> I currently use vtkCaptionActor2D but I can not manage the text to be
> occluded by objects nearer to the camera.
>
> The text generated by vtkCaptionActor2D is always drawn on top of
> everything.
>

> => Would there be a way to allow vtkCaptionActor2D to be occluded by nearer
> objects ?
>
> Thanks in advance for your answer,
> Renaud.

> http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_FAQ

Re: vtkCaptionActor2D always drawn on top of everything else ?

Bill Lorensen
here is an example using BillboardTextActor3D:

http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Examples/Cxx/Visualization/BillboardTextActor3D

On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 11:45 AM, David Lonie <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Nope -- vtkCaptionActor2D renders in the overlay, which will always
> occlude 3D geometry.
>
> You may want to try vtkBillboardTextActor3D, which was recently added.
> It doesn't do quite the same thing as the caption actor, but will mix
> with 3D geometry.
>
> On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 10:14 AM, Renaud Lebrun
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I am trying to visualize text labels in 3D space.
>>
>> I currently use vtkCaptionActor2D but I can not manage the text to be
>> occluded by objects nearer to the camera.
>>
>> The text generated by vtkCaptionActor2D is always drawn on top of
>> everything.
>>

>> => Would there be a way to allow vtkCaptionActor2D to be occluded by nearer
>> objects ?
>>
>> Thanks in advance for your answer,
>> Renaud.

>> Powered by www.kitware.com

>> http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_FAQ

Re: vtkCaptionActor2D always drawn on top of everything else ?

Renaud Lebrun

Thanks a lot for your tips, Bill and David!

I managed to use successfully vtkBillboardTextActor3D, it fully answers my needs! Plus it also performs very nicely when using anaglyph rendering mode : http://morphomuseum.com/files/atractosteus.jpg

[hidden email] wrote:
I am trying to visualize text labels in 3D space.

I currently use vtkCaptionActor2D but I can not manage the text to be
occluded by objects nearer to the camera.

The text generated by vtkCaptionActor2D is always drawn on top of
everything.

=> Would there be a way to allow vtkCaptionActor2D to be occluded by nearer
objects ?

Thanks in advance for your answer,
Renaud.

Please keep messages on-topic and check the VTK FAQ at:
http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_FAQ

Dr. Renaud Lebrun

Institut des Sciences de l'Evolution

Université de Montpellier
Campus Triolet, bât. 22
Place Eugène Bataillon
34095 Montpellier cedex 5, FRANCE
Tél : +33 (0)4 67 14 32 60
[hidden email]
MORPHOMUSEUM

Re: vtkCaptionActor2D always drawn on top of everything else ?

David Lonie-2
Great, glad to hear it! That's a really cool picture, thanks for sharing! :-)

Dave