vtkCutter using vtkPolyPlane extends beyond polyline's endpoints

vtkCutter using vtkPolyPlane extends beyond polyline's endpoints

Luca Pallozzi Lavorante
Hi vtkusers,

I have a vtkUnstruturedGrid showing depositional data and I'd like to cut this data using contiguous vertical slices defined by a vtkPolyLine. I have seen in the documentation that vtkPolyPlane generates the right implicit function which I can pass to vtkCutter.
The resulting cuts are OK, but my vertical slices extends beyond my polyline's endpoints. I would like to end the cutting planes exaclty at my polyline's first and last point. Is this possible?
I am using VTK 7.0 on Linux.

  Thank you very much for any help

                Luca

Re: vtkCutter using vtkPolyPlane extends beyond polyline's endpoints

VTK - Users mailing list

Hi Luca

In April I already asked some help on vtkPolyPlane because a strange behavior of the filter without success, however I think there is some bug in the vtk code... so I am still looking for another kind of solution, if you find it please post details.

Regards

Matteo

Il 22/06/2017 23:12, Luca Pallozzi Lavorante ha scritto:
Hi vtkusers,

I have a vtkUnstruturedGrid showing depositional data and I'd like to cut this data using contiguous vertical slices defined by a vtkPolyLine. I have seen in the documentation that vtkPolyPlane generates the right implicit function which I can pass to vtkCutter.
The resulting cuts are OK, but my vertical slices extends beyond my polyline's endpoints. I would like to end the cutting planes exaclty at my polyline's first and last point. Is this possible?
I am using VTK 7.0 on Linux.

  Thank you very much for any help

                Luca

Re: vtkCutter using vtkPolyPlane extends beyond polyline's endpoints

Luca Pallozzi Lavorante
Hi Marco, did you experience the same problem that I reported?
 I mean, the cuts extending beyond the endpoints of the polyline used to feed vtkPolyPlane?

I think that maybe the problem could be solved composing vtkPolyPlane with two more planes normal to each polylne's endpoints. I also think that this could be done using something like vtkImplicitBoolean, but I don't know how. It is not clear to me how instances of vtkImplicitFunction should be composed in order to remove the planes past the polyline's endpoints. I also noticed that this "extensions" are not planar: beyond the polyline's endpoints the planes form "waves" when looked down along the Z axis. I also noticed this behaviour by modifying the Interaction/Widgets/Testing/Cxx/TestPolyPlane.cxx example, where I explicitly created and visualized a vtkPolyData from vtkCutter's output (In this example, vtkCutter received as implicit function an instance of vtkPolyPlane, just as I needed).

 Any kind help or explanation on this issue would be greatly welcomed.

     Thank you

         Luca

On Thu, Jun 22, 2017 at 6:12 PM, Luca Pallozzi Lavorante <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi vtkusers,

I have a vtkUnstruturedGrid showing depositional data and I'd like to cut this data using contiguous vertical slices defined by a vtkPolyLine. I have seen in the documentation that vtkPolyPlane generates the right implicit function which I can pass to vtkCutter.
The resulting cuts are OK, but my vertical slices extends beyond my polyline's endpoints. I would like to end the cutting planes exaclty at my polyline's first and last point. Is this possible?
I am using VTK 7.0 on Linux.

  Thank you very much for any help

                Luca

Re: vtkCutter using vtkPolyPlane extends beyond polyline's endpoints

Luca Pallozzi Lavorante
Hi vtkusers,

regarding my previous posting, describing the "waving" behavior of the plane generated via vtkPolyPlane, I am attaching an image showing this issue. Here I am using the following pipelyne : vtkPolyLine -> vtkPolyPlane -> vtkCutter. The polyline is composed by three points and vtkCutter is cutting through a vtkPolyData Surface. It is possible to see the waving behavior in the resulting cut, just beyond the polyline's endpoints.

 Thank you for any help.

           Luca

vtkPolyPlaneWaves.png (183K) Download Attachment

Re: vtkCutter using vtkPolyPlane extends beyond polyline's endpoints

VTK - Users mailing list

Dear Luca

My problem was not related to the cut endpoints, but on some extra part that was not related to the polyline provided. I do not know if the problems can be related, but I can not exclude it.

you can read my first messages here:

http://public.kitware.com/pipermail/vtkusers/2017-April/098302.html

This is the sample image I provided

http://public.kitware.com/pipermail/vtkusers/attachments/20170405/c72a409b/attachment.png

And this is a short sample code I provided asking for help

http://public.kitware.com/pipermail/vtkusers/2017-April/098304.html

Regards

Matteo