Quantcast

vtkGL2PSExporter crashes

rakesh patil
Hi,

I am trying to export the rendered image as EPS. I am using vtkGL2PSExporter as shown in this example. Only difference is mine is C++ based.

I have tested it on Windows 10 and Mac OSX. In Mac it is working fine. On Windows it crashes. It creates the file but then crashes. Same code works on Mac. what could have been gone wrong?

Thanks

Re: vtkGL2PSExporter crashes

David Lonie-2
Can you provide a backtrace of the crash?

Thanks,
Dave

On Thu, May 4, 2017 at 2:44 PM, rakesh patil <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to export the rendered image as EPS. I am using vtkGL2PSExporter
> as shown in this example. Only difference is mine is C++ based.
>
> I have tested it on Windows 10 and Mac OSX. In Mac it is working fine. On
> Windows it crashes. It creates the file but then crashes. Same code works on
> Mac. what could have been gone wrong?
>
> Thanks

> http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_FAQ

Re: vtkGL2PSExporter crashes

rakesh patil
Hi David,

This is all I could manage to get. Please find the attached image. I hope it is helpful.

Note: I am using VTK 6.3 on windows 10 along with Qt 5.5

Thanks

CaptureStackTrace.PNG (32K) Download Attachment

Re: vtkGL2PSExporter crashes

David Lonie-2
Hmm, that stack doesn't look sane. For example,
vtkGL2PSExporter::GetBestRoot does not touch any vtkTextProperty, and
there certainly should be anything from the shadow map baker under
those calls.

It sounds like the stack is corrupt or the debugging symbols don't
match the library. I'm afraid I can't really tell what might going on
here. Try rebuilding, and maybe using a newer VTK since the GL2PS
exporter has been updated since v6.3.

Do VTK's GL2PS unit tests pass? You can test this by installing the
windows version of ghostscript
(https://www.ghostscript.com/download/gsdnld.html), setting the cmake
variable VTK_GHOSTSCRIPT_EXECUTABLE, rebuilding, and running ctest -R
GL2PS in the build directory.

HTH,
Dave

On Fri, May 5, 2017 at 10:23 AM, rakesh patil <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I will check the unit tests. Before that, I would like to know whether it is
> mandatory that ghostscript should be installed if I want to use
> vtkGL2PSExporter? Because I do not have GhostScript installed. Would that be
> a reason?

Ghostscript is not needed for GL2PS for work, we just use it to
validate the output from the unit tests, so the tests are disabled
unless it's found.

Re: vtkGL2PSExporter crashes

rakesh patil
Hi David,

I tried the test example of vtkGL2PSExporter separately on another system. Attached the stack trace of the runtime crash.

Capture.PNG (35K) Download Attachment

Re: vtkGL2PSExporter crashes

David Lonie-2
This is really weird, that stack is corrupt as well.

Try running the application through a memory analyzer (something like
valgrind on linux, not sure what the equivalent would be for windows).
Maybe it'll show where the stack is being overwritten. Double check
array usage in your application to see if anything is writing past the
end of an array or something similar.

HTH,
Dave

On Fri, May 5, 2017 at 2:12 PM, rakesh patil <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> I tried the test example of vtkGL2PSExporter separately on another system.
> Attached the stack trace of the runtime crash.
>

> On Fri, May 5, 2017 at 7:54 PM, David Lonie <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, May 5, 2017 at 10:23 AM, rakesh patil <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> > I will check the unit tests. Before that, I would like to know whether
>> > it is
>> > mandatory that ghostscript should be installed if I want to use
>> > vtkGL2PSExporter? Because I do not have GhostScript installed. Would
>> > that be
>> > a reason?
>>
>> Ghostscript is not needed for GL2PS for work, we just use it to
>> validate the output from the unit tests, so the tests are disabled
>> unless it's found.

Re: vtkGL2PSExporter crashes

awa5114
Allright. So in order to be a part of this mailing list, ask questions, receive answers but not necessarily have to deal with a barrage of 10+emails a day what can a person do?

I'm interested in being a part of the mailing list but I really don't need to receive every single communication that happens on it...  Somebody help please.

On Fri, May 5, 2017 at 3:31 PM, rakesh patil <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi David,

This is all I could manage to get. Please find the attached image. I hope it is helpful.

Note: I am using VTK 6.3 on windows 10 along with Qt 5.5

Thanks

On Fri, May 5, 2017 at 12:35 AM, David Lonie <[hidden email]> wrote:
Can you provide a backtrace of the crash?

Thanks,
Dave

On Thu, May 4, 2017 at 2:44 PM, rakesh patil <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to export the rendered image as EPS. I am using vtkGL2PSExporter
> as shown in this example. Only difference is mine is C++ based.
>
> I have tested it on Windows 10 and Mac OSX. In Mac it is working fine. On
> Windows it crashes. It creates the file but then crashes. Same code works on
> Mac. what could have been gone wrong?
>
> Thanks

> http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_FAQ

Re: vtkGL2PSExporter crashes

Cory Quammen-2
Follow the link at the very bottom of every email, log in, and change
your preferences to receive only a daily digest.

Personally, I have a filter in my mail client that filters messages
from this list so that I can peruse them when I want and they never
show up in my Inbox.

Cory

On Fri, May 5, 2017 at 2:18 PM, Amine Aboufirass
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Allright. So in order to be a part of this mailing list, ask questions,
> receive answers but not necessarily have to deal with a barrage of 10+emails
> a day what can a person do?
>
> I'm interested in being a part of the mailing list but I really don't need
> to receive every single communication that happens on it...  Somebody help
> please.
>
> On Fri, May 5, 2017 at 3:31 PM, rakesh patil <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi David,
>>
>> This is all I could manage to get. Please find the attached image. I hope
>> it is helpful.
>>
>> Note: I am using VTK 6.3 on windows 10 along with Qt 5.5
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> On Fri, May 5, 2017 at 12:35 AM, David Lonie <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Can you provide a backtrace of the crash?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Dave

>> Powered by www.kitware.com

>> http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_FAQ