vtkGlyph3D

Sam Raby

Hello,

I have an easy question, I think.

I have hundreds of points in the 3D space. I need to visualize each of these points by a small 2D square, which I implemented. Therefore I have now hundreds of these small squares in the 3D space. However the issue is as follows:

When I rotate the scene, while all the squares are naturally moving in respect to the camera, I want all of the squares keep their orientation towards the camera and still be constantly facing the camera. I know if I use vtkFollower I could do this, but not sure how to do it for these MANY squares in the scene. My pipeline is as follows => All my points are stored in one single vtkPolydata and I have assigned a vtkSourcePlane to each of these points using vtkGlyph3D.

Thanks for any feedback.

-Sam

Re: vtkGlyph3D

Sankhesh Jhaveri-2

Hi Sam,

While you could use the vtkFollower approach, a better performing approach would be using the vtkPointGaussianMapper.
See the ParaView blog post for examples.
Note: You would have to write your own shader preset to render 2D squares.

Hope that helps,
Sankhesh

On Sat, Apr 21, 2018 at 12:22 PM Sam Raby <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello,

I have an easy question, I think.

I have hundreds of points in the 3D space. I need to visualize each of these points by a small 2D square, which I implemented. Therefore I have now hundreds of these small squares in the 3D space. However the issue is as follows:

When I rotate the scene, while all the squares are naturally moving in respect to the camera, I want all of the squares keep their orientation towards the camera and still be constantly facing the camera. I know if I use vtkFollower I could do this, but not sure how to do it for these MANY squares in the scene. My pipeline is as follows => All my points are stored in one single vtkPolydata and I have assigned a vtkSourcePlane to each of these points using vtkGlyph3D.

Thanks for any feedback.

-Sam

Sankhesh Jhaveri
Sr. Research & Development Engineer | Kitware | (518) 881-4417

vtkGlyph3D

Sam Raby
Thanks Sankhesh.
What would be an efficient approach to assign HSV color for each of the points, given that 1) there are a lot of points ~50k, and 2) each point has it own specific color.

Thanks,