vtkLegendBoxActor Not Updating

VTK - Users mailing list

Hello,

We are using VTK 7.1 with Qt 5.8 on windows and are seeing some bizarre behavior with vtkLegendBoxActor.  Under some circumstances which can be reliably reproduced, the screen does not update to show new values in the legend, even if the legend is deleted and re-created.  Only when a user clicks in the renderwindow (or we simulate a mouse event) do the new values appear.  The 3D actors displayed by the same renderer/renderwindow update as expected, so we know that the render does redraw the scene and the QVTK widget does display it.

Does anyone have any idea why that might be happening, or if there is a way to force all actors to update?  Our current workaround is to simulate a mouse event to force the update, but this is relatively time-consuming for what should be a simple update of a 2D actor.

Thanks for your help,

Jason

Re: vtkLegendBoxActor Not Updating

Sankhesh Jhaveri-2

Hi Jason,

Could you post some example code that reproduces the issue?
Perhaps, create a bug report on the VTK bug tracker, too.

On Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 1:37 PM Kimmel, Jason via vtkusers <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Sankhesh Jhaveri
Sr. Research & Development Engineer | Kitware | (518) 881-4417

Re: vtkLegendBoxActor Not Updating

VTK - Users mailing list

Hi Sankesh,

Unfortunately the circumstances involved include a large (and proprietary) application. I’ll see if it is possible to create a test case which can recreate the issue, and if so file a bug report.  I have a feeling that everything may work properly in the simplified scenario though.

Thanks,

Jason

Re: vtkLegendBoxActor Not Updating

VTK - Users mailing list

Hi,

As I suspected, a smaller example trying to create the same scenario failed to reproduce the same behavior.

We were able to work around this in the larger application by updating the vtkLegendBoxActor at the same time as the 3D actors instead of in a separate update after the 3D actors we re-rendered. Previously there had been an invocation of Qt’s event loop (and vtk’s render process) separating the updates of the legend and 3D actors.

Hopefully this may help someone else facing similar problems, or help narrow down where the issue might be occurring.

-Jason