vtkOpenVRRenderWindow and vtkWin32OpenGLRenderWindow

vtkOpenVRRenderWindow and vtkWin32OpenGLRenderWindow

Carlos Lopez
Hello,

Is it possible to have a vtkOpenVRRenderWindow and  a vtkWin32OpenGLRenderWindow
working in the same application?

I'm trying it by compiling vtk without the OpenVR render factory enabled and initializing the openvr classes directly.

I get to have 2 render windows, one for openvr and a regular one. Calling renwin->Render() inside a loop for the openvr window works as it tracks the HMD and shows the controllers, but if I call Render() for the regular window, the openVRRenderWindow stops tracking the HMD and the rendering starts to flicker.

Is there any shared resource between these windows that would break the rendering?

thanks,
carlos

Re: vtkOpenVRRenderWindow and vtkWin32OpenGLRenderWindow

Ken Martin
It should work, but you have to be careful, I would not share any mappers/actors etc between the two and make sure you are letting the OpenVR loop run at least 100 fps.

On Tue, May 2, 2017 at 6:05 PM, Carlos Lopez <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

Is it possible to have a vtkOpenVRRenderWindow and  a vtkWin32OpenGLRenderWindow
working in the same application?

I'm trying it by compiling vtk without the OpenVR render factory enabled and initializing the openvr classes directly.

I get to have 2 render windows, one for openvr and a regular one. Calling renwin->Render() inside a loop for the openvr window works as it tracks the HMD and shows the controllers, but if I call Render() for the regular window, the openVRRenderWindow stops tracking the HMD and the rendering starts to flicker.

Is there any shared resource between these windows that would break the rendering?

thanks,
carlos

Ken Martin PhD
Distinguished Engineer
Kitware Inc.
28 Corporate Drive
Clifton Park NY 12065

Re: vtkOpenVRRenderWindow and vtkWin32OpenGLRenderWindow

Carlos Lopez
Hi Ken,

Thanks for your reply.

There seems to be something else going on.

In my example, I create 2 of source (cubesource),mapper, actor , renderer, and renderwindow; for the last 2 one is win32 and the other OpenVR.

I add the cube to the win32 render window and call render, it appears and renders correctly.

Calling renwin->Render() in a loop only for the OpenVR render window, running under the debugger, makes the OpenVR window on the screen show in sequence, a black screen and then the VR circles. It does not update the graphics and seems to be showing an old frame.

If I run the OpenVR loop, before the win32 window renders, then it works ok, it tracks and renders the geometry and the controllers, but then calling render on the other one, one single time and going back to its own loop, breaks the rendering as described above.

There also seems to be an issue with the order of initialization if I add an interactor to the win32 window.

any suggestions are welcome.

thanks,
carlos

On Wed, May 3, 2017 at 8:34 AM, Ken Martin <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Make sure you also explicitly create the OpenGL/OpenVRCamera for each renderer as they are different. And I would create the OpenVRRenderWindowInteractor Win32OpenGLRenderWindowInteractor explicitly and assign them. Those are the 4 key classes you have to explicitly create as leaf nodes

OpenVRRenderWIndow
OpenVRRenderer
OpenVRCamera
OpenVRRenderWIndowInteractor

Win32OpenGLRenderWindow
OpenGLRenderer
OpenGLCamera

On Wed, May 3, 2017 at 11:08 AM, Carlos Lopez <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Ok, am I missing a step?

I create the classes as you suggest, since turning off the factory option makes OpenVRRenderer initialize the wrong camera class.
(I rebuilt vtk with the openvr factory on, and initialized both sets explicitly)

I set:

renWin->AddRenderer(ren1);
iren->SetRenderWindow(renWin)
ren1->SetActiveCamera(camera);

is there some other connection that should be done explicitly?

thanks,
carlos

On Wed, May 3, 2017 at 11:20 AM, Ken Martin <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the confirmation.

I've now gotten both windows to work by creating them in different threads, but I don't see the window events in the win32 window.

best,
carlos