vtkPoint

Sam Raby
Hi
When we use vtkPoint or vtkPointSource, as we zoom in and out, the size of points does not change. Is there a way to enable this so that zoom in and out can change the size of point?
Thanks

Re: vtkPoint

Angela Noecker
I add a glyph.

> On Apr 22, 2018, at 3:01 PM, Sam Raby <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi
> When we use vtkPoint or vtkPointSource, as we zoom in and out, the size of points does not change. Is there a way to enable this so that zoom in and out can change the size of point?
> Thanks

Fwd: vtkPoint

Sam Raby

Thanks for the feedback. Here is the problem statement: I want to visualize points but I want the points to become larger/smaller as I zoom in/out. I could add glyph to each point, but glyph also wants me to assign a source to it, and I end up assigning for example a small Cubes, but I need to visualize a point not a cube. Is there a way to enable a point so that zoom in and out can change the size of point? or any alternative approach?

Thanks
Sam

On Sun, Apr 22, 2018 at 3:34 PM, Angela Noecker <[hidden email]> wrote:
I add a glyph.

> On Apr 22, 2018, at 3:01 PM, Sam Raby <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi
> When we use vtkPoint or vtkPointSource, as we zoom in and out, the size of points does not change. Is there a way to enable this so that zoom in and out can change the size of point?
> Thanks

Re: vtkPoint

Angela Noecker
What do you want your points to look like?  I assign a small sphere to the glyph.

On Thu, May 3, 2018 at 6:00 PM, Sam Raby <[hidden email]> wrote:

Thanks for the feedback. Here is the problem statement: I want to visualize points but I want the points to become larger/smaller as I zoom in/out. I could add glyph to each point, but glyph also wants me to assign a source to it, and I end up assigning for example a small Cubes, but I need to visualize a point not a cube. Is there a way to enable a point so that zoom in and out can change the size of point? or any alternative approach?

Thanks
Sam

On Sun, Apr 22, 2018 at 3:34 PM, Angela Noecker <[hidden email]> wrote:
I add a glyph.

> On Apr 22, 2018, at 3:01 PM, Sam Raby <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi
> When we use vtkPoint or vtkPointSource, as we zoom in and out, the size of points does not change. Is there a way to enable this so that zoom in and out can change the size of point?
> Thanks

Re: vtkPoint

Sam Raby
I have used small spheres and small cubes, but the issue is that they are heavy if I use thousands  of them - that is why I am trying to use a simple point which is much lighter.

On Fri, May 4, 2018 at 6:34 AM, Angela Noecker <[hidden email]> wrote:
What do you want your points to look like?  I assign a small sphere to the glyph.

On Thu, May 3, 2018 at 6:00 PM, Sam Raby <[hidden email]> wrote:

Thanks for the feedback. Here is the problem statement: I want to visualize points but I want the points to become larger/smaller as I zoom in/out. I could add glyph to each point, but glyph also wants me to assign a source to it, and I end up assigning for example a small Cubes, but I need to visualize a point not a cube. Is there a way to enable a point so that zoom in and out can change the size of point? or any alternative approach?

Thanks
Sam

On Sun, Apr 22, 2018 at 3:34 PM, Angela Noecker <[hidden email]> wrote:
I add a glyph.

> On Apr 22, 2018, at 3:01 PM, Sam Raby <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi
> When we use vtkPoint or vtkPointSource, as we zoom in and out, the size of points does not change. Is there a way to enable this so that zoom in and out can change the size of point?
> Thanks

Re: vtkPoint

Aron Helser
That's exactly what the Glyph filter is for - it uses a single instance of the geometry, drawn at different points in space. Modern graphics cards can make that much faster than drawing separate geometry.
-Aron

On Fri, May 4, 2018 at 11:06 AM, Sam Raby <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have used small spheres and small cubes, but the issue is that they are heavy if I use thousands  of them - that is why I am trying to use a simple point which is much lighter.

On Fri, May 4, 2018 at 6:34 AM, Angela Noecker <[hidden email]> wrote:
What do you want your points to look like?  I assign a small sphere to the glyph.

On Thu, May 3, 2018 at 6:00 PM, Sam Raby <[hidden email]> wrote:

Thanks for the feedback. Here is the problem statement: I want to visualize points but I want the points to become larger/smaller as I zoom in/out. I could add glyph to each point, but glyph also wants me to assign a source to it, and I end up assigning for example a small Cubes, but I need to visualize a point not a cube. Is there a way to enable a point so that zoom in and out can change the size of point? or any alternative approach?

Thanks
Sam

On Sun, Apr 22, 2018 at 3:34 PM, Angela Noecker <[hidden email]> wrote:
I add a glyph.

> On Apr 22, 2018, at 3:01 PM, Sam Raby <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi
> When we use vtkPoint or vtkPointSource, as we zoom in and out, the size of points does not change. Is there a way to enable this so that zoom in and out can change the size of point?
> Thanks

Re: vtkPoint

Sam Raby
Thanks Aron. It is good to know!