Quantcast

vtkPointInterpolator algorithm?

Joshua Murphy
Hello,

I am working on my dissertation, and I am trying to find a source that explains how the vtkPointInterpolator works in 7.1.  Specifically, I would like some information on how the SMP version works.  Could someone point me to a source that describes the algorithm? Or describe it to me via email?

Thanks,
Josh Murphy

Re: vtkPointInterpolator algorithm?

Will Schroeder-2
Check out:

for an introduction and additional references. Note the difference between SPH and generalized point interpolation (SPH is a spline interpolation which is subject to conservation properties).

In general the algorithm is very simple. For each point p to be interpolated onto, find the neighborhood of points around p (defined by a radius, number of points, etc) and use these neighboring points to interpolate onto p. (This operation is carried out in parallel using vtkSMPTools.) The manner in which the interpolation occurs is a function of the interpolating kernel. One twist to all of this is that efficiently finding neighboring points requires some sort of point locator. Typically vtkStaticPointLocator is used because it is very fast to build and delete, has modest memory requirements, and builds in parallel.